On 03/22/2015 04:55 PM, emptyb...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

Indians call them bij only because they drop the last syllable when they speak Hindi or other Sanskrit language derivatives. Thus they call Buddha "Buddh" which sounds strange to Western ears.

That's correct, the "a" at the end is silent.

Frawley is useful for understanding the background of Tantric yoga and the basis of the Vedic hymns. Most of his Vedic stuff is a reiteration of Sri Aurobindo. However, reading his books leaves the reader rather empty because the tradition is a "hearing" lineage of sound expression.

David had a tantra teacher in India and there is a picture of him with his teacher in some of his books. Tantra, though, isn't exactly rocket science and I I think the best way to learn is from a village tantric because they keep the teaching simple which works better for busy westerners.

Much more effective is Vyas Houston's CD - Bija Mantra and Chakra Tuning which accurately produces the Sanskrit sounds. It introduces a particular method of chanting the mantras thatenergizes the chakras.

Learning Sanskrit will give you accurate pronunciation. However there *is* northern and southern Indian pronunciation of Sanskrit. I learned from Houston's series but noted that a friend used a different pronunciation and she explained the two distinctions.

Without learning this sound-stream patterning all this stuff is rather hollow.

Not necessarily.