Do the Galactic Council of Orion take the place of angels in people wanting to
have a reassuring voice to talk to in an age of increasing chaos?

Yes, I think so, they take the place of angels. Or astral beings, or whatever
you like to call them. There are the good guys and the bad guys. It's a
development, which already started with the theosophs I think, who wanted to
start a new unified religion, incorporating many ideas from the east, from
Buddhism and Hinduism, mixing it with the more modern ideas of evolution,
root-races, (also an outcome of Darwinism), and whatever was known about
astrology at the time. They had the 'ascended masters', all this mixed with
popular culture, UFO myth etc. I remember, when everyone in my environment read
a book called 'Starseed transmission', it was a channeled book, I also read it
and even liked it. I don't even remember anymore what it said, but it was all
glad in the language of some higher extraterrestial beings, who took good care
of planet earth, and was basically saying things very similar to TM think - be
just having come out of it - speaking of global transformation, and an
evolution of consciousness - in the most general terms you might think of.

 I missed it all. During the 90's I was attending Fortean Times conferences and
reading serious research into UFO's and crop circles etc but the channelling
thing seemed so easy to dismiss due to so many obvious logical flaws that it
hardly seemed necessary to expend grey matter thinking about it. But some of my
friends were taken with it for a while. I retained my scepticism I'm happy to
say but it was probably a lot of fun.

 Would like to read an up to date appraisal fo the whole belief system to see
how far they've taken it. For instance, I was described as an Indigo child
recently. It felt disturbing.

In the beginning of the 90ies, channeling was all the vogue. But you could have
looked at it also as a way of dressing up old knowledge / theories in a new
way. Obviously this whole starseed movement went much further then, from those
more general approaches, by suggesting to people that, if they were just
interested into this kind of thing, it would be very likely they are ET's
themselves, making questionaries to determine if your home is really somewhere
else. Some of these people, you just saw the video of, sound more like reborn
Christians. And yes, the lady channeling beings from the 'Orion', also started
by  doing 'Transmission meditation', you know this from Nabby, and that was
started by a retro theosoph Benjamin Creme, ask Nabby.

 I wish we could still ask Nabby but he fled to that place where having a
contrary opinion marks you out as a terrorist or something. But I am living
nearer London nowadays and fully intend to go and see Benjamin Creme on one of
his lecture evenings. You never know, I might get converted. That's be a turn
up...