(Writing in single lines with spaces between the lines makes it difficult to
read quickly. Group your ideas into coherent visual blocks (paragraphs). This
is almost the extreme opposite of what Buck does where everything is jumbled
together.)

 The quake relief is getting through very slowly because the Nepalese
government is following their custom import rules and requiring all packages be
inspected thoroughly and thus relief supplies are being significantly delayed
in getting to the disaster areas. That certain people survive a disaster is
fine, but attributing only part of the story to providence and ignoring the bad
parts, the destruction and death and injury, as if providence is not involved,
is a failing of the human intellect. Insurance companies call all the bad stuff
'acts of God'. That is the part they don't want to pay off on. If you are going
to give a religious slant to an event why not say, 'Boy, I am sure glad God
killed my wife/son/daughter/wonderful neighbour instead of me'. Otherwise you
are demeaning God's all encompassing majesty by reduction of omnipotence.
Assuming of course, a person thinks like this.

 Scientist don't have to think like this, all they have to say is a crack in
the Earth's crust shifted and mayhem followed according to the known laws of
nature. You get down to the business of trying to rescue those that were not
killed and getting food, water, medical relief, and shelter to them without the
distraction of a mental fantasy circulating in your brain. If there is more
coherence, why are supplies being delayed, and why did the earthquake happen in
the first place? Post hoc justifications serve no useful purpose except to
shield failed ideas from scrutiny. It is a form of cultural and personal
self-deception.

 Look, Barry, let me work with you for a minute.

 It may make me late for work, but that's okay.

 Do you realize that you act like a dog that has to lift his leg and take a
piss on every fire hydrant, every tree it goes by on it's daily walk.

 I guess your brain works like this:  "Is this a cult sentiment being
expressed?  I don't know. Better give it squirt of my patented "anti cult
medicine"

 Someone making a suggestion that will no one is going to pay attention to?

 "Better deposit a dump on that one, juuuuuust to be sure."

 See, you've become the object of this cult behavior you claim to be studying.

 Funny how that works, isn't it?   (-:

 Maybe some variation of Copenhagen Syndrome!  (-: (-: (-:

 Damn Barry, people expressing opinions you don't agree with.

 How very annoying.

 And, Jesus, you're really escalating this Doug situation to a capital offense.

 Did it ever occur to you that you bounce from one obsession to a different
obsession.

 Chill.  Just chill.

 It's all good. Everything will work out.  No need to call daddy.

 A tempest in a teapot is just that.  A tempest in a teapot.

 While I thank Steve for his "feet on the ground" report, I want to comment
briefly on his rap at the end. The one at the end, in green print. You know,
the one in which he felt that he had to explain WTF the "Laws Of Nature" were
thinking when they created this earthquake and then spared some folks and not
others.

 See, this is an issue that would never occur to someone who lives in the real
world, the world of reason and science. In this real world (the only one that
we know for sure exists), earthquakes happen as the result of plate tectonics,
and don't have any intelligence -- angry OR benevolent -- underlying them. The
ground just shakes, and shit happens the way shit tends to happen when the
ground shakes.

 Steve seems to feel it's a "miracle" that none of the people he knows there
got hurt. Presumably that's because he and his friends were there "creating
coherence" by bouncing on their butts a lot, so the sentient "Laws Of Nature"
made sure they were OK. Equally presumably, these "Laws Of Nature" *didn't*
feel the same way about the over 6,000 Nepalis who got squished because of all
the shaking. I guess that getting squished was their fault because they didn't
bounce on their butts, too, or pay money to the "Maharishi pundits" to chant
for them. That IS what Steve is implying, although I'm sure he doesn't
recognize it.

 Look, I'm sure that Steve is a nice guy, and was just trying to put a nice
spin on horrible events. But I'm just pointing out how ludicrous his spin IS.
No one was "spared" because of anything to do with TM or the TMSP, and no one
was killed because of it. Earthquakes just happen. They don't even know that
TM, the TMSP, the "Maharishi pundits," and Steve fuckin' EXIST, much less have
an opinion about whether they should survive or not.

 Steve and his friends were lucky. That's all. It would be less insulting to
the over 6,000 people who *weren't* as lucky if he'd stay away from Woo Woo
interpretations of what was, after all, a random natural event.