All that is fine.  Yes, you can hypothesize all you want.

 You can't prove that your dog loves you, but you probably believe it.

 You can't prove that the sun will rise tomorrow, and set tonight, (or that the
earth will spin to cause this effect), but I am guessing you believe it.

 Neither you nor I understand all the details of our nervous system or our
physical body,or subtle body, if there is one, but we probably have developed
some beliefs about what happens when this physical body dies.

 In my case, from my accumulated knowledge, I believe some aspect of our
existence goes forward in a personalized form.

 Can I prove that?

 Of course not.

 And that is my point, and probably not a profound one, that there are many
things we can't prove, that we believe.

 You seem to have developed a construct we does not require some part of our
existence moving forward in that manner, and so, believe that is the case.

 Perhaps that is more of a rationalist approach.  I only believe what I can
prove.

 No problem.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 It's not what we believe, it's what we know. But what we know for sure seems
to be only that we exist now. I hypothesise that at death, the world comes to
an end because the means of experience, the nervous system ceases to function.
None of the 'subtle body' shit persisting, because the 'subtle body' is still
the nervous system, it's part of the software of the neural net, a neural map
of the body. As for a 'soul', there is only being, so 'soul' is a redundant
conceptual entity related to the software map called the 'subtle body'. There
are probably better ways technically to name these things. The mistake is
'immortality' is eternity in a timeless present, rather than persistence in
time.

 There's always, "reality could be this, reality could be that"

 what really counts, is what you believe.

 do you believe, as many do, that when you die, it's lights out?

 I don't care if you answer it or not.

 But, I suspect you do not believe it, even you care to dance around it, with,
"well, I have no proof"

 not that it has any practical value, but as humans we ponder these things,
even if it doesn't affect our day to day actions.

 on the other hand, philosophical discussions of this nature, at least on this
forum have pretty much ceased to be interesting, or instructive.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Some spiritual traditions do not consider 'a soul' to be a real thing. Rather
it is a fiction created by the sense of individuality (ego) that separates and
destroys the experience of unity. Now I have never thought I had a soul, and I
have never found one. That does not mean such a thing is non-existent, but what
is the evidence that suggests that such a thing exists? In my fifth decade of
meditation, no soul has ever appeared but many other experiences of integration
have. So what gives? How does one discover they have a soul other than the
simple belief that there are such things, for that is not evidence it exists.
If this idea is in the mind simply because others told you about it, that does
not count as evidence. What are the specific steps required for a person to
discover if he/she has a soul or not?

 Om no, a soul is really larger than you think. The immortal soul also resident
in the energy field of the mortal coil is way more than just some consciousness
or some transcending consciousness in meditation. Some who are without
experience with their souls need sit with it some more and it will reveal. It
comes with spiritual practice. Sit with it some more and look for it. Everyone
knows it in the end. It is awesome really. -JaiGuruYou!

 So Sal what do you think happens to the individual human awareness when the
body wears out?

 It wears out too as it's part of the body. No more body, no more awareness.

 I'm happy to receive evidence to the contrary though and won't be disappointed
if I get into heaven, not that there's much chance of that....