The path of Dattatreya embraces all spiritual paths and is the source of all
other
traditions. He who treads the path of Truth, regardless of what religion he
belongs to, is
treading the path of Dattatreya. As an incarnation of God, Datta came down to
spread the
universality of true religion. Anyone can be his follower, regardless of cast,
creed, status,
be they student, householder, recluse or renunciate. No matter what sect or
religion the
true seeker follows, eventually he comes under the guidance of Lord Dattatreya,
the
Eternal Spiritual Guide of all mankind.

  Datta's presence is not limited to any one country or sphere, as He is the
Guru of all
Gurus, the all-seeing, all-powerful, ever-present link between God and Man.
However,
special places of worship (Datta Peethas) have grown up around sacred areas,
where His
presence is most strongly felt by the sincere seeker of Datta. These places
include
Suchindram, Senthamangalam, Mount Girnar, Nagalapuram in Andhra, Prayag, Datta
Guha
in the Himalayas, Gulbarga -Ganagapura, Narasimhavadi in Maharastra, Quthambara
near
Poona, Avadumbara, Somapuram, Chandradronagiri and Datta Peetha at Sri
Ganapathi
Sachchidananda Ashrama, Mysore.

  One notable aspect of these Datta Peethas is their indefinable but
inseparable
relationship with worship of God as Mother, the Supreme Energy -Shakti. (Hence,
Sri
Swamiji's fierce aspect as Mother Chamunda.) Parasurama (eighth incarnation of
Lord
Vishnu), approached Lord Dattatreya and was initiated into the intricacies of
how to
worship the Mother (Shreevidya Upaasana), before undertaking intense penance to
obtain
the grace of the Divine Mother.

  The Saandilya Upanishad declares very clearly that Lord Dattatreya is the
Supreme Reality
and is the cause of everything that is created. It states, "The Supreme Brahman
performed
penance which was of the nature of knowledge (jnyana), and desiring to become
many,
assumed the form of Dattatreya. From that form came out the three letters A, U,
M; the
three mystical names Bhuh, Bhuvah and Svah; the three-lined Gayatri; the three
Vedas Rig,
Yajur and Sama; the three Gods Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswara; the three castes
Brahmana, Kshatriya and Vysya; and the three fires Gaarhapatya, Ashavaneeya and
Dakshina."

"The lord is endowed with all wealth. He is all pervading and resides in the
hearts of all
beings. He is the great Maayavi, sporting with His own Maaya. He is Brahma. His
Vishnu,
He is Rudra. He is Indra and He is also all the gods of heaven and all other
beings. He is
East, He is West, He is North, He is South, He is below and He is above. He is
everything.
This is the glory of the form of Dattatreya."

  Lord Dattatreya came as the Supreme Philosopher (Avadhoota) so that the true
meaning
and purpose of Sacrifice (Tyaaga) may be revealed to mankind. Atri, His father,
symbolizes
penance (tapas) as described in the scriptures, and Anasooya represents freedom
from
jealousy. When penance and non-jealous nature unite in a single person, the
highest truth
emerges as Lord Dattatreya. As ultimate self-sacrifice, the Supreme God gave
Himself as
Datta to Atri and Anasooya. Hence, "Datta" means not only "that which is
given", but also
as the ideal of "giving" without desire for reward, i.e. selfless giving. The
whole life of
Dattatreya shows us that this "giving" selflessly is the true
renunciation/sacrifice. The
significance of this sacrifice is stated in the Dattatreya Upanishad where the
Lord says,
"Not by action, not by progeny, nor even by self, but by renunciation (tyaaga)
alone is
immortality attained. "Real renunciation is the giving up of "I" and mine, not
the mere
abandoning of duties. Living a selfless life require giving up one's ego. That
is what Lord
Dattatreya describes as true sacrifice.

  As a Yoga-Avatar, Lord Dattatreya teaches us to perform all our duties
skillfully and
diligently. Yoga does not require outside aids, nor does it demand great
physical effort. All
we have to do is change our outlook and transform our attitude to life. This
"change"
consist of giving up the idea or feeling of "doership", "enjoyership" and the
resultant
anxiety (and attachment ) for the fruits of our actions. By performing all our
duties with
this changed outlook, our mind will be freed from agitation and attain the
restful state
called "equanimity", or the state where there is no "mind". This is the state
of Bliss that
every soul ultimately aspires to. This is the state of Datta - the ultimate
Gift of God.
Symbolically Lord Dattatreya is depicted with three heads, six hands, four
dogs, standing
in front of a cow and tree. In his hands He holds a drum (damaru), discus like
weapon
(chakra), conch shell (sankh), rosary (japa mala), water vessel (kamandala) and
a trident
(trisula).

  The Lord's three heads represent Brahma Tatwa, Vishnu Tatwa and Shiva Tatwa.
All
powerful creative cause is Brahma, sustaining energy is Vishnu and annihilating
energy is
Shiva (Srishti, Sthithi and Laya energies) are three heads.

  All these attributes of the Lord have their esoteric meanings. The trident is
used for
killing the ego, and the drum is used to awaken those souls who are still
sleeping in the
slumber of ignorance. Lord Datta's conch shell is used to sound the OMKARA, the
primordial sound and the first word of the Hindu scriptures. The divine AUM is
composed
of Akara - the Creator/Initiator, Brahma; Ukara -Sustainer/Protector, Vishnu;
Makara -
Destroyer/Terminator, Maheswara. When mixed together in the conch of the Lord,
they
sound as the eternal Omkara -Datta.

  OM is an essential sound. With every breath our lungs resonate the Omkara. So-
hum...So-hum... I am the world, I am the universe, I am Lord Shiva, I am Lord
Vishnu... We
are always chanting this mantra, even when we are walking, talking, eating or
sleeping.
The speed with which we sound this So-hum may change with our bodily activity,
but the
So-hum remains eternal. When the body stops resonating with this divine sound,
the soul
seeks another residence. All living creatures, even animals resonate this AUM
in their
body. In Sanskrit, "Datta" means gift, hence, Omkara is the eternal gift of God
to all souls.

  Lord Dattatreya is also holding a rotating discus -chakra. It is a round
circle with no
beginning and no end. Like the universe, it too is constantly moving, always in
a flux. He
uses this chakra to destroy all kinds of karmic bonds of His devotees. His
right hand holds
a rosary -japa mala. With this the Lord counts His devotees, liberating them by
merely
thinking of their name. In another hand the Lord is carrying the water pot
-kamandala.
This holds the nectar of pure wisdom. With this He revives the souls thirsty
for knowledge,
liberating them from the endless cycle of life and death.

  The four dogs of Dattatreya are the embodiments of the four Vedas. They
follow the Lord
as "hounds of heaven, watchdogs of the ultimate Truth". They help the Lord in
"hunting"
and finding pure souls, wherever they may be born. Behind the Lord Dattatreya
is the cow
named Kamadhenu. This divine cow grants the wishes and desires of all those who
seek
the Lord. She grants all material and spiritual wishes of the Lord's devotees.

  The Lord stands in front of the Audumbara tree. This is the celestial wish
-yielding tree.
It fulfills the wishes of those who prostrate before it. Audumbara is the
bearer of nectar,
and wherever it is found, Lord Dattatreya is always found in it's shade.
http://www.dattapeetham.com/india/datta/datta.html
Jaya Guru Datta

In Datta Seva

Hanuman