When I moved to Oregon 20 odd years ago I got the first  generation of Direct
TV and really enjoyed the convenience and picture quality for Standard
Definition at that time.  WhenI I got an HDTV in 2003 I decided to get the most
economical system for HD content which was at that time Comcrap.  Also, they
were my ISP at the time as well.  Hated their service and the equipment was
just janky.

About 2006 or so I upgraded to  Dish with their HD DVR and generally like their
equipment and the channels they had until they dumped HD Net.  Almost all t he
eye candy I was watching plus Dan Rather Reports was on the HD Net channels.
Dish's dropping of HD Net coincided with the US Economy going into the shitter
and scaring forlks like us, so we became cord cutters.  Quite frankly, it was
the best thing that ever happen to us.  We are more discriminating of what we
watch (at least that's what I tell myself, lol). Also, having an good FiOS
connection helps with the streaming and living where we do we get about 20 OTA
stations with great reception.

Like many other industries that spout so called free markets and capitalism,
but really just want to suck the consumer dry in any unfair they can, the
entertainment industry has rigged the whole cable industry into becoming
practically a utility like phone, gas, water, sewer and electricity  Over the
years they have ratcheted up the prices to the most ridiculous level of
entitlement that they can get away with.  As many channels of information and
entertainment they offer, they epically fail at providing a quality product and
service.  One must spend a lot of time panning the rock creek shoreline to find
a gold nugget worth the time to watch.  In no small part, the good folks here
at FFL make that choice a lttle easier since I've gotten from the contributors
many great suggestions.

One other thing that has happened in the past 10 years has been how Podcasting
has replaced much of the radio and television I use to watch.  Narrowcasting
(as opposed to broadcasting) is the trend that has changed my life immensely.
I get to watch or listen to something designed for a SMALL demographic and I
walk away more sated.  Leo LaPorts TWIT Network has many shows that cover
topics I'm interested in, like computer security, home theatre, android phones,
tech news, legal matters and technology, windows, google, etc.  I enjoy Hak5
and TekThing and many other offerings out there in the big world.  F***  CBS,
NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS and the rest of them.