Amen to everything you say here.

 By the way, re the "Old Brown Shoe" track I posted:  Back in the day I said to
a friend once, "I really, really like that new Beatles' single "The Ballad of
John and Yoko". Her face curled into a sneer and she said to me: "That's the
commercial side." The B-side was "Old Brown Shoe" which she was implying was
the one that true aficionados would prefer.

 What amused me was that I really liked both songs. And I've always thought it
a revealing insight into the snobbishness of those who are devoted to rock -
which after all is pop(ular) music. Later I realised that whereas to me "rock"
was just something I enjoyed coming out of a radio or after feeding coins into
a jukebox, to my friend (who read the music mags assiduously) it was more akin
to a religion and her snooty attitude reflected her enthusiasm and commitment.
There's nothing wrong with a bit of snobbishness - even if it does look
slightly ridiculous to those who have other interests.

 Yes - John Lennon, Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison: what they would
be doing today is something I've often wondered.

 Just so I don't forget to reply to this (and so you don't feel as if you are
the only person who has ever felt this), I interject a big "Me, too!"

 Back in the day, as all this was still happening, I always felt that George
quickly became the *least* interesting Beatle, because he (as I experienced him
through his music) became the most dogmatic and the most compelled to think
other people's ideas.

 Paul became the second-most boring because he started pandering not only to
other people's ideas, but to the lowest common denominator of other people's
ideas. Without ever introducing any significant ideas of his own into the mix.

 Ringo was always a "sleeper agent" of a rock star, and so although his music
didn't always reflect it, he seemed to have had a grand old time for a few
years there in L.A. trying to drink himself to death along with his buddy Harry
Nilsson and John. Harry succeeded. Ringo -- to his credit -- did not, and
continued to be somewhat interesting.

 The most interesting Beatle after the breakup was the most interesting Beatle
before the breakup. John was the superstar ("How right you are!"), and remained
the superstar after the group disbanded. I sometimes wonder what kind of music
he'd be making today if he'd lived.