You made two posts today, and previously you last posted shortly before I came
on this forum, and so are a new 'face' for me here. What prompted the return?
It would seem looking at some older posts, you would tend to side with woo and
post information from other sites and make some comments on it.  I find the
list below to be a good way of categorising those obstacles mentioned. Note
that the sage Nisargadatta was addicted to cigarettes. And because most humans
that are presented to us as enlightened seem to have foibles of various kinds,
could conquering all these human foibles really be unnecessary? It is certainly
necessary to become aware of one's shortcomings but how much effect do they
have in preventing enlightenment, seeing that just about everyone living today
on the enlightenment circuit seems to have some of these obstacles. Isn't all
that is necessary is to realise all these foibles are just an aspect of pure
being?

 How many of these have you become senior to, if any? I have probably been
accused of all of these except martyrdom. My interests these days somehow do
not focus on things like this, at least not very consciously. If one desires to
be the entire universe (unity) is it really necessary to give up all these
things? What do you think?

I see there is a photograph of you in the 1978 MIU Yearbook which I found
on-line. You are a TM meditator, and whatnot. So what have you discovered about
life since 2011 when you last posted here? Whay did you leave?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <untilbeyond@...> wrote :

 Seven Chief Obstacles

 Greed                           Fear of missing out
 Arrogance                     Fear of not being enough
 Self-deprecation            Fear of being great (in my case, fear of showing
off)
 Martyrdom                    Fear of being too selfish
 Impatience                   Fear of stagnation, or never 'arriving.'
 Self-destruction            Fear of being alive
 Stubbornness               Fear of losing control

 In this system, we choose (very early in life) one chief obstacle, and a
secondary obstacle.

 There will be two items that you recognize in yourself more than the others.

 It's possible to have a 'well managed' chief obstacle.  Addictive behavior
falls under
 the domain of self-destruction.  There are many people who smoke cigarettes as
a way of
 avoiding the more destructive behaviors such as hard drugs and gambling.  The
other addiction
 that has destructive potential similar to nicotine is eating disorders, such
as the ubiquitous carbohydrate
 addictions that we see everywhere.  Drinking a gallon of soda per week, or
binging on sweets?  That can
 reduce lifespan as effectively as tar and nicotine, right?  So what's the
point in giving up an addiction if it's only going to be replaced by something
more destructive.

It takes real devotion and perseverance to become senior to our chief and
secondary obstacles.