--- In
FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "tomandcindytraynoratfairfieldlis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   http://www.themystic.org/print/dark-night.htm
>
> good decsription including some points that were not in my own
> experience. Tom T (not Tom Paul)

>From this description:

"...You find yourself somehow painfully on the outside. You feel
caught between your old way of living, your old tendencies and
associations, and this nebulous, unreachable realm of higher
consciousness.

"You feel an exile in both places. You don't belong in the old
pastimes. in the old empty or numbing way of life, yet you somehow
can't fit in or feel at home in the fellowship of those who talk
naturally of the higher consciousness and its reality...."

Reminds me of a bit of MMY's commentary in his Gita
translation.  The context is a question from Arjuna:

   What goal does he reach, O Krishna, who is not
   perfected in Yoga, being endowed with faith, yet
   lacking effort, his mind strayed from Yoga?

   Deluded on the path to Brahman, O mighty-armed,
   without foothold and fallen from both, does he
   not perish like a broken cloud?

(VI:37-38)

Maharishi comments, in part:

"Arjuna is aware of different levels of consciousness
and of the different states of life that correspond
to them.  He is also aware that when a man's
consciousness evolves from one level to another, the
life of the previous level becomes useless to him.

"His question is about one who, as the result of a
certain amount of practice, has risen above the level
of ordinary human consciousness but who has not yet
attained cosmic consciousness....

"Such a man has lost ground on the human level but has
as yet no foothold on the divine level.  He is neither
here nor there...."

The context is different in that MMY is talking about
someone who has stopped practicing, but it seems to me
relevant to the "dark night" experience because the
sense of being neither here might well cause one to
become so discouraged about their progress that they
would give up their practice.

There's another bit of commentary in an earlier chapter
that discusses this sort of thing as well; as I recall,
it's in the context of the need for intellectual
understanding of the experience of dawning CC, which can
initially make one feel lost and empty, according to
MMY.  I'll see if I can find it later today.