 As I understand it, Planck is the guy that proposed it is impossible to
measure anything smaller than 10 to the power of -23 centimeters.  As such,
that is effectively the juncture between the relative and the absolute.  John
Hagelin proposed that is where the quantum foam rises from the unified field.
IMO, the proposal is logical and is the likely explanation for the Big Ban.

 However, physicists like Stephen Hawking do not believe in this theory since
they believe in the material world paradigm.  Therefore, they believe  that the
quantum is the smallest matter in the universe--meaning that they have to
conclude that the universe created itself.  IMO, this conclusion is illogical
and foolish, notwithstanding their education and research in physics.

 Hawking does believe in this theory because it's the same thing. He would just
dispute that it has anything to do with consciousness.

 As far as the universe goes it would have to have arisen somehow from the
Planck scale because everything does. It's just a convenient unit to describe
everything else, smaller than that and the maths become meaningless, like the
statement that the "quantum foam" is conscious, what does it mean?

 Re "If it's small you want":

 Well the Planck length is tiny - TO US! Let's not be chauvinist in our
judgements.

 It's never been clear to me whether the Planck length is the smallest size
any-thing can possibly be, or if it is "just" an impassable barrier for us with
our human limitations. Are there - at least as a possibility - infinite worlds
smaller still that we shall never be able to access?

 I've also come across the idea that men and women are size-wise (six feet
tall) approximately in the middle between the Planck length on the one hand and
the supposed size of the Universe on the other. Is that significant? Perhaps in
one sense we really are the centre of the Universe

 If it's small you want, check out the total perspective vortex:

 The Scale of the Universe 2 http://htwins.net/scale2/

 The Scale of the Universe 2 http://htwins.net/scale2/ Zoom from the edge of
the universe to the quantum foam of spacetime and learn about everything in
between.

 View on htwins.net http://htwins.net/scale2/
 Preview by Yahoo

 My guess is that they'll find exotic particles that are smaller than the
previous one.  But how far can the LHC go?  In the meantime, the leading
physicists will have a field day in making speculations about what happened at
the moment of the Big Bang or even before the Big Bang.

 The investment in the LHC is paying off.  There may be other discoveries that
will pave new developments in physics.  But will it lead to the Unified Field?

 Perhaps it already has?

 Insight into the 'energy of the vacuum'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy More speculatively, the Higgs field
has also been proposed as the energy of the vacuum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy, which at the extreme energies of
the first moments of the Big Bang https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang caused
the universe to be a kind of featureless symmetry of undifferentiated extremely
high energy. In this kind of speculation, the single unified field of a Grand
Unified Theory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Unified_Theory is identified
as (or modeled upon) the Higgs field, and it is through successive symmetry
breakings of the Higgs field or some similar field at phase transitions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_transition that the present universe's
known forces and fields arise

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson