Tom, that's a fascinating account, many thanks for
sharing it.

I think I know something of what you're talking about
on the basis of a very brief glimpse I had awhile ago.
It lasted no more than a minute or two, but it was
really striking.

It was when I was resting after program.  Normally
during that period--unless I fall asleep!--I think
about what's immediately going on in my life, my
plans for the day or evening, stuff I'm working on,
and so on.

This time, the thoughts started flowing as usual,
but there was something distinctly missing.  None
of it had any *charge*; none of it was important,
none of it mattered.  And I felt this deep sadness,
this sense of great loss and emptiness.  Nothing in
my life had any meaning any longer.

As I was contemplating this apparent disaster, I
became aware of the Self very clearly, with the
thoughts chugging away by themselves in the
background.  I couldn't sense any bliss, but I
realized intellectually what must be going on,
and that was enough to keep me from freaking out.

After a minute or two the experience faded as if
it had never been and meaning returned, but I've
never forgotten it. I suspect the clear witnessing
had triggered some unstressing, which was enough to
overshadow any bliss but not the distinct separation
of Self from activity--for those few minutes I was
very much "neither here nor there."

Later I was thinking about an episode of clinical
depression I had gone through for some months
several years before I'd begun TM, and comparing
it to this experience after program.  If I had
described the after-program experience to a
therapist, I'm quite sure the therapist would
have concluded it was depression.

But it was very different from the experience I'd
had previously: during the clinical depression, there
was no sense of Self; the sadness was anguished and
anxious, whereas during the after-program experience
it had somehow been peaceful, almost resigned, no
sense of turmoil, no sense that I had to *do*
something, change something, to recover what had been
lost.  It was gone, and that was all there was to it.
There was nothing *to* be done.  It wasn't painful,
not something I had to make stop, just sad.

I have no idea how I would have managed had that
experience continued for any length of time.  I
would *hope* the intellectual understanding would
have kept me from descending into the turmoil and
anxiety of the earlier clinical depression, but who
knows?

Subsequent experiences of witnessing, after program
and in activity, haven't been accompanied by that
same sense of loss; it's been more a sense of
*relief*, if not overwhelming bliss.  Maybe I'll
be lucky and won't have to go through months or
years of meaninglessness with nothing to replace
it when I get to that point on a long-term basis.

I'm curious as to what Andy Rymer would have done
to shorten your dark night.  (I don't know who he is;
I've just seen his name mentioned often by TMers.)

--- In
FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "tomandcindytraynoratfairfieldlis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> world did it any more. There was no joy in mudville any night. I can
> remember taking delivery on a brand new car and I didn't even get it
> off the lot before the damn thing gave no joy at all. I persisted in
> my relationship with the wonderful lady who is now my wife but how
she
> managed is beyond me. I kind of had a little of the aloneness but
the
> predominance was that all the things and even the business I had
been
> in for 25 years just had zero joy. Food was like eating cream of
wheat
> with no salt. Sex was good when it happened but that depended more
on
> my partner than me. The main item was the knowledge that nothing in
> the relative was going to bring joy ever again in the same old way
it
> had. The only thing left to do was put the head down and just keep
> going. Even dieing didn't seem an option because I had already done
> that and I knew I would just end up back in the same spot. I once
read
> a part of the comments in the Gita that it was like being in a boat
> that would only take you half way to the other side. At some point
you
> would find yourself half way across and have one foot in the boat
that
> brought you out and the other foot in the boat from the other side.
> There was this deep knowledge that the boat that brought you out was
> sinking slowly and the one you had your other foot in was invisible.
> There was a moment when you just have to give up the old boat and
take
> your chances in the invisible one. It seems to me that the darkest
> spot is when you have one foot in either boat. At that point you are
> totally in no place, no time, and nothing matters. You also reach a
> point that just having something happening was a hell of a lot
better
> than this no thing bringing any joy. You also knew you were screwed;
> no place to go and no way to fix it so you might as will go for
broke.
> Eventually it broke and now there is joy and laughter at the dumbest
> things and every thing is funny in some odd and unpredictable way.
> You can ask people who know me in FF and they will tell you I could
> now be best described as the laughing fool. I had a conversation
with
> Andy Rymer once when I was in his class here in FF and he mentioned
> that if we had gotten together then he would have been able to take
> the three year period I was in this thing down to three to six
months.
> Living here in FF I can see how that would be possible if you had
the
> opportunity to hang out with others who have been down this path.
One