 Re "It's as speculative and unlikely as John's theories about consciousness.":

 I find John's theories about consciousness close to my own idealist views.

 I'll try and do a post about unification and where consciousness fits in, it's
got me most baffled....

 Re "There's an old saying: The universe may not only be stranger than we
suppose but stranger than we can suppose. I think it's rubbish.":

 Sounds like salutary humility about our oh-so-human limitations.

 Unbridled optimism I call it. Can't do science without it. While people still
look for problems with what we know they will still try and solve them.