I believe the concept of extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary proof
helps a bit. I believe it is also important to resist the tendency to fill in
gaps. It is perfectly reasonable to say that you saw an object in the sky you
could not identify, a UFO, but you don't have an reason to bring in the aliens
without more evidence. You see that kind of cognitive jump by the crop circle
dudes. "We don't know how these were made" is a world apart from "It could only
be aliens!"

The hardest part is facing how much work it takes to be able to say we have a
true anomaly. I believe that is a bigger factor than comfort zones in
knowledge. Most of us would love to discover something new and unique,
especially scientists. But many events require a high level of commitment
before the evidence is worked out and scientists go with what they consider
higher probability questions.

 Sure, we have to stay in our comfort zones.

 I guess there's a fine line between staying with what seems likely and
logical, and being willing to venture into what we can't explain through
conventional means.

 As I said, previously, there are enough anomalies that can't be explained with
our present understanding of physical laws that would make one, or at least me,
be open to possibilities that violate these physical laws at least as we
presently understand them.

 And in many cases the only way to discount those anomalies is to dismiss them
as the result of some undetected fraud.

 In other words, instead of acknowledging that there may be something behind
the pale, we resort to this more comfortable explanation.

 Exactly. Stick to what we know, if someone makes claims beyond what we know as
normal it's wise to ask for greater evidence than usual. Any theories about
super powers or ideas of a life beyond this one have to take into account how
our normal experience or expectations made this jumping off into newer, unknown
realms. How did that work? Are these realms waiting for us to discover them?
Sounds unlikely to me, where did they come from? If god made them, how come he
let us evolve the hard way?

 Siddhis too sound unlikely to me, as the mental faculties we have were evolved
for a particular environment. That we can extend our minds beyond normal
experiences begs the question of how evolution could have favoured using
something that isn't already visible to us in everyday life. What type of thing
would it make the mind if it could manipulate matter and explore the world
telepathically, or even develop an opposition to gravity?

 This makes Darwinism one of the easiest theories to disprove - or at least
suffer a seriously major rewrite - just demonstrate a siddhi and we're done...

 So, I'll just leave it at that.

 And, it's not that I really know how all of that has worked out.  It's a work
in progress for me, as well.

 Best way to be.

 Help from more evolved souls at various points.

 Basically some of the woo woo stuff commonly dismissed.

 An example might be, pushing development from going in a more primate
direction to a more human direction.

 Something along these lines.

 Well, the only comment I can make is that these more evolved souls must have,
erm, evolved too!

 Um, no, I was not trying to slip in the notion of "God" with my comment. And
it had nothing to do with the issue of homosexuality.

 I tend to believe that a various times an intervention occurred to push the
progress of mankind in one direction or the other.

 An intervention from what then? I am intrigued...

 I tend to believe there has been some kind of intervention, somewhere along
the way, or at various times.

 Here's a thought for you to play with, the idea of an intervention implies a
god right? If you are using the presence of homosexuality as proof that god
intervened, wouldn't he have done so in the opposite direction? He isn't a
notorious gay lover is he...

 But a more serious objection to Darwin's natural selection hypothesis
(beautifully simple and powerful as the idea is) than weird monsters from our
prehistoric past is the prevalence of homosexuality (in humans if not our
animal cousins).

 How can behaviour that is sterile possibly have evolved according to a theory
that claims Nature favours acts that increase an organism's chances of sexual
reproduction? Anyone want to attempt an answer?

 A gay man or woman is walking, talking proof that natural selection is either
wrong or (more likely) radically incomplete as an explanation of how we got to
be the way we are.

 Survival of the fittest?

 This is what the original looked like of that fossil just found in China (the
Zhenyuanlong suni - a cousin of the better known Velociraptor).

 But it couldn't fly so those wings are surely (as the tired old cliché has it)
about as much use as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest.

 Let's see those neo-Darwinians explain this one!

 Hmm, maybe they were originally for keeping warm and became useful for
catching insects or mating displays. Or maybe they just helped it run faster?

 Feathers are deformed scales so they must have had some sort of advantage
early on or they wouldn't have got very far. Don't suppose you'd accept
enhanced cuteness as an explanation?

 If I had a time machine this is the sort of problem I would work on...

 http://tinyurl.com/p8kf48h http://tinyurl.com/p8kf48h

 http://tinyurl.com/p8kf48h

 http://tinyurl.com/p8kf48h http://tinyurl.com/p8kf48h

 View on tinyurl.com http://tinyurl.com/p8kf48h