---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  Thomas Jefferson

 I loves me some Thomas Jefferson. But this quote is incomplete in itself. I
don't know if he corrected it in context. He lived under (and helped create) a
system of representative democracy with only land owner free men as voters. He
could not anticipate a time when there would be such plurality that a foreign
religious sect voting block was possible. Or even just a segment of Deists or
Christians who had wacky religious agendas and a ton of cash to influence the
legislative process.

Tolerance as a virtue is much more simple when we use it as we do in our common
everyday life. Once it hits the Mix-O-Matic of the voting, legislative,
lobbying through campaign finances, it starts to pick our pockets again. We
find religious ideology coming into public policy so that restrictive laws
aimed at abortion clinics can impose a practical reversal of  Roe V Wade,
especially for the poor. And this is due to a religious ideology that intends
to subvert the system of laws by using it against itself to impose a religious
belief on the res of us.

If the premise of your religion is that only practicers of it are rewarded with
eternal reward, any lip service paid to tolerance is superficial window
dressing. The role of government is to anticipate the intolerant core of
religious beliefs and make it harder for certain religious groups to get their
way legislatively. Campaign reform would be a start as well as taxing
religions.

We have to give up the concept of protected ideas (in the name of tolerance)
and challenge bad religious ones held for poor reasons, like we do for every
other human idea. And I am not talking about only scientific standards, just
good thinking skills we use in a rigorous approach to history or the soft
sciences.

Mankind must be challenged on the idea that a human created book is speaking
for an omnipotent God. This process is already happening in society although it
is going to take a long time. But look how well we did in our opinions about
witches. Remember when that was an occasion to break out the marshmallows?

 More of the quote from "Notes on the State of Virginia":

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious
to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty
gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."