 Sorry but I will maintain (even though I am liberal) that given US history
many a coup d'etat was deterred simply because Americans could own guns.  This
is certainly a sad occurrence but would it have been any different if the
attacker had used knives?  We need to understand more with why people are
compelled toward such violence.

Knives, guns, rocks. It all comes down to humans wanting to do violence to
other humans. The thing with guns is that it allows an attacker to do so
without threat to him or herself and thus encourages those who are either too
afraid or too cowardly to get up close and personal to their target to simply
shoot from a safe distance if they so choose. This latest incident is just one
isolated example of gun violence. I know I will never change your mind on this
subject but it takes a much braver/crazier attacker to wield an implement that
requires hand to hand combat than it does to simply fire into a group of people
or even at a single individual. I also realize that those living in America are
generally far more fearful of their neighbors than we are in Canada. I wonder
why that might be.

 On 08/26/2015 08:20 AM, awoelflebater@... mailto:awoelflebater@...