Astrology is more of a weather report, more the propensity of events that might happen. The field is not well understood but in our computer age more research is pulling up recurring patterns as well as the ability to track groups of people for research to see what effects being born at different times of the year has as well as different times of the day.

A lot of nay-saying about astrology comes from people criticizing newspaper Sun sign horoscopes. Those aren't even related to sidereal Jyotish readings unless you are looking at a column in New Delhi or Bombay. And on the other hand my eyes get a good workout when I see astrologers trying pin things down exactly missing the weather report analogy. Many even think that dasha changes are black and white rather than like light (after all it is the science of light) fading in and out.

I have never found a person's horoscope that didn't fit them unless they had the wrong birth time. If you look at writings like the Saravali you'll notice that if you shift the ascendant by a sign then the reading no longer works. Most all of these astrology scriptures weren't "cognized" but research of what was common over hundreds or thousands of horoscopes. So the research actually has been done, a long, long time ago.