On 09/27/2015 10:00 AM, Sal Sunshine salsunshineini...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

On Sep 27, 2015, at 11:26 AM, Bhairitu noozg...@sbcglobal.net <mailto:noozg...@sbcglobal.net> [FairfieldLife] <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

"Love & Mercy" is the story of Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. It is a surprising good film with Paul Dano playing Wilson in his early days and John Cusack playing him in the later years. Elizabeth Banks plays Melinda, Wilson's second wife and Paul Giamatti, Dr. Eugene Landy the doctor who ran Wilson's life for quite a while.

The casting is so well done that the actors who play the Beach Boys look a lot like them. The studio musicians of The Wrecking Crew were well cast too as Hal Blaine is a character in the film.

The film makers, director Bill Pohlad and writer Oren Moverman did not just want to show Wilson's tribulations but also his process of writing a song and they do an excellent job. They were assisted in the production of the film by Brian himself and his wife Melinda.

*This is quite a story and there is no mention of TM nor Maharishi in it but that's because it covers the period before the Beach Boys involvement with TM.
*
https://youtu.be/lioWzrpCtGQ
<https://youtu.be/lioWzrpCtGQ>
Yep, that’s it, totally. What flavor Kool-Aide are you drinking today, Bhair? :)

Professional musician's Kool-Aide. No LSD either. I saw the Beach Boys in fall 1966 in Seattle and was introduced to Mike Love and Al Jardine by Stephen Stills in fall 1967.

Pet Sounds came out in 1966 and Smiley Smile in Sept 67. The Beatles met Maharishi in August 67 and went to India in Feb 68. So most of the band in the 60s part was before Maharishi. And yes the Cusack part takes place beginning in the late 70s through early 90s. If you have the disc check out the extras. I rented it at Redbox on Blu-ray and it's not a "rental edition" so I was up to 2 AM to watch all the extras.

Beach Boys discography:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beach_Boys_discography

I also met with Al DeLory who is portrayed in the film in fall of 1967. The band I had in high school had a member who was originally from LA and related to the Wilson.

Small world.

The movie opens when he met his second wife, in 86. And then flashes back and forth to the good old days, in the 60s. Plenty of room to mention anything. The reason they didn’t was undoubtedly because after the Beach Boys’ involvement, which for everyone except Mike Love lasted about 5 minutes, Brian made it perfectly clear he didn’t give a hoot in hell, even going on TV and giving away the mantras. One of his finer performances, I might add. :)

I am enjoying the movie, which I’m watching right now. Apart from his second wife, it focuses on his relationship with his crackpot “therapist” Eugene Landy. For Wilson, as for many, many others, TM was an all-too-brief stop in a life filled with far more important issues. He just didn’t give a crap. Get over it.