We've had it this town since July. Already some of the small restaurants and businesses have closed. The weird thing was watching people who I thought had brains become ideologues about the issue (and other things as well). I point out the problem isn't wages it's an inflated cost of living.

Minimum wage jobs are not supposed to be a career. There a way for someone to make some money while going to college or high school kids doing dumb jobs after school for some pocket money. At that some of us can recall when people could not only survive on a minimum wage (like in the late 1960s) but rent a house (or own one), buy a decent car (I bought a brand new Datsun wagon in 1973 for $1800), dine out and go to movies.

In this town the price of a sandwich has gone from $5 to $8 and now $10 at some places. The other thing is we have economic microclimates. That same same sandwich for $10 may go for $7 the next town over or even $6 in Berkeley.

My mortgage payment on a small 4 bedroom house in a nice part of town is less than what it costs to rent a single bedroom studio apartment in this town. And then there is San Francisco where the rent on studio apartment can run around $4K a month but food is cheaper than here.

If you as me the economy is really out of whack and it started getting really weird after 9/11. You'd think it was a conspiracy. These conditions can't go on forever without there being an uprising.