If you want clear proof of what a pathetic nation the UK has become read this
letter issued by Annie Teriba, a black female student, when she stepped down
from several high-profile activist roles at Oxford University after admitting
she failed to obtain full consent before having sex with someone. It reads like
a parody. Will she ever become a fully-paid-up human being?

 “This statement explains why I will be stepping back from political
campaigning from now.
 (I owe you a proper explanation, so will go into details here which you may
find triggering.)
 At this year’s NUS Black Students’ Conference, I had sex with someone. The
other party later informed me that the sex was not consensual. I failed to
properly establish consent before every act. I apologise sincerely and
profoundly for my actions. I should have taken sufficient steps to ensure that
everything I did was consensual. I should have been more attentive to the
person’s body language. In failing to clarify that the person consented to our
entire encounter, I have caused serious irreparable harm.
 In a separate incident, in my first year of university, I was alerted to my
inappropriate behaviour whilst drunk in a club, where I had touched somebody in
a sexual manner without their consent. Therefore this is not an isolated
incident. I apologise sincerely and profoundly for my actions.
 With these incidents I have rightly lost the trust of those who I organise
with and fully intend to work to ensure that I both put my politics into
practice in my personal relations and to prove to them that I am committed to
transformation. As such, it would be wrong of me to accept platforms and access
spaces until I have done so.
 In order to ensure the safety of others, I will be taking a number of steps:
 i) I breached NUS’s safe spaces policy, so will not be attending future NUS
events.
 ii) I am resigning from all the political positions I hold – from NCAFC’s
National Committee and from the NUS’s Black Students’ Committee, and as editor
of the No Heterox** zine and as the People of Colour and Racial Equality
Officer at Wadham SU, Oxford.
 iii) I will be stepping back from prominent campaigning in other forums,
including #RhodesMustFall and rs21.
 iv) I commit to getting help with how I consume alcohol. It is clear that I
lack self-awareness and become sexually entitled when I am drunk. This does not
excuse my actions, I am wholly responsible for the damage that I have caused.
 v) I commit to educating myself properly about consent by reading zines and
other materials which have kindly been made available to me.
 vi) I commit to seeking help from perpetrator organisations – for example, I
have taken steps to establish contact with RESPECT and will be seeking out
organisations who specifically deal with sexual violence.
 I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused.
 Yours, Annie Teriba”