Forwarded from: Organic Consumers Association
<ronniecumm...@organicconsumers.org>

Tweet
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CSGauFJbdSr90m%2BBV4X9YcY5xDpzOxkL>
 | Pinterest
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FJQLBWZF1YY2hWBakxlL2sY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QzF57X4vIHagm7s61vlVkMY5xDpzOxkL>
Subscribe & Read Past Issues
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9XdLOChIXRc7y4inFba6HxykW%2FEJL09i>
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=DJs16to%2FegTCT34r%2BafmqcY5xDpzOxkL>
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Zq9O%2FREbYZNIcWYYf7ZkPcY5xDpzOxkL>
 | View on Web
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=o5tLi%2BbSvaSgoOu0ilihV8Y5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=o%2Fc%2BpS2hvtnJ2iSa6PBh28Y5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=wy1INJipgSHzjsMTeUgxPsY5xDpzOxkL>

<mailto:?subject=Order%20in%20the%20Court&body=https://www.organicconsumers.org/node/1014981>TOP
 NEWS OF THE WEEK
Order in the Court

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yR%2BwP5Dm%2F0Of37uur0aWOsY5xDpzOxkL>
One of the world’s most criminally corrupt corporations will finally get its
day in court. And it won’t be pretty.

OCA, along with IFOAM International Organics, Navdanya, Regeneration
International (RI), Millions Against Monsanto and dozens of global food,
farming, environmental justice groups announced today that they will put
Monsanto MON (NYSE) on trial for crimes against nature and humanity, and
ecocide.

The announcement was made at a press conference held in conjunction with the
COP21 United Nations Conference on Climate Change, November 30 – December 11,
in Paris.

“The time is long overdue for a global citizens’ tribunal to put Monsanto on
trial for crimes against humanity and the environment. We are in Paris this
month to address the most serious threat that humans have ever faced in our
100-200,000 year evolution—global warming and climate disruption. Why is there
so much carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide in the atmosphere and not
enough carbon organic matter in the soil? Corporate agribusiness, industrial
forestry, the garbage and sewage industry and agricultural biotechnology have
literally killed the climate-stabilizing, carbon-sink capacity of the Earth's
living soil.” - Ronnie Cummins, international director of the OCA (US) and Via
Organica (Mexico), and member of the RI Steering Committee.

The trial will take place in The Hague, Netherlands, next year on World Food
Day, October 16, 2016. OCA, Millions against Monsanto and other groups will
organize a global protest against Monsanto on that day. If you want to organize
or join a protest in your city, state or country sign up here.
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0QQ2u%2BxTJXIr67qiNxMFrsY5xDpzOxkL>
This is a chance for the citizens of the world to hold Monsanto accountable for
poisoning our soils, our food, our children and our future. It's time.

Read the press release
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RFAnOMsNWjNiiN9%2BnA77tMY5xDpzOxkL>
Sign up to organize a World Food Day protest
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=axUypyNRZCTWKzpXYKH6ghykW%2FEJL09i>
Full list of Monsanto Tribunal Foundation founding organizations (so far)
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=EjeMbJIjgqJh7SCG5dGjnsY5xDpzOxkL>
Full list of Monsanto Tribunal Foundation organizing members
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=og6mczk7kWUITEgKrNaHe8Y5xDpzOxkL>
Learn more
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yrEm2sul3DOQgmAIX6bGl8Y5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qF6JLcfa1mFZWnlO50ciuxykW%2FEJL09i>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=F6C%2Bfd5%2B1A52LMTxn7DDSRykW%2FEJL09i>

<mailto:?subject=Message%20from%20Paris&body=https://www.organicconsumers.org/node/1014986>ESSAY
 OF THE WEEK
Message from Paris

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=aMUxEPHHc7qUsrrw4%2BJLkMY5xDpzOxkL>
“Humanity stands at the edge of an abyss. We have destroyed the planet, its
biodiversity, our water and the climate, and through this destruction, we have
destroyed the ecological context for our survival as a species. Ecological
destruction and resource grab are generating conflicts, which are being
accelerated into full-blown wars and violence. A context of fear and hate is
overtaking the human imagination. We need to sow the seeds of peace—peace with
the earth and each other, and in so doing, create hope for our future—as one
humanity and as part of one Earth community.” - Vandana Shiva, Terra Viva, Pact
for the Earth
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3IMgztjbiQnWQdfx9YPA%2F8Y5xDpzOxkL>,
 November 26, 2015

Twenty-three years after the first United Nations Earth/Climate Summit in 1992,
in the wake of a savage terrorist attack on November 13 that traumatized
Europe, a multinational contingent of activists and stakeholders are gathered
here for the COP 21 Climate Summit.

Ten thousand of us took to the streets of Paris on November 28, peacefully
defying the government ban on street demonstrations. I, along with a delegation
of North American and Latin American Regeneration activists, joined the
protest, holding hands with our French and European comrades in a human chain
stretching for miles. Our section of the animated chain, punctuated with
colorful homemade signs, T-shirts and banners, was designated “Solutions.”

Lined up at the corner of Boulevard Voltaire and Allée du Philosophe, our
boisterous group’s most popular chant, repeated over and over again in Spanish,
English and French, drawing smiles and thumbs-up reactions from Parisians on
the streets, was “El pueblo unido, jamas sera vencido” (“The people united will
never be defeated).”

Standing at the crossroads of a climate Apocalypse, a growing consensus appears
to be emerging: We must not only phase out Big Oil, King Coal and industrial
food and farming, and stop polluting the already supersaturated atmosphere and
the oceans with additional greenhouse gases, but we must also strip out or draw
down approximately 200 billion tons of excess CO2 already blanketing the
atmosphere. And we must do this utilizing proven, “shovel-ready” regenerative
organic farming and land use practices.
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Lz%2BhNeHcAQbmRb5e3CICfsY5xDpzOxkL>
Read Ronnie’s essay
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MpsgD9wS%2BDryuFDwc0O38cY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yFHwDuFcCD5E8rkC%2BGYn3MY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ULjM8hq3c08btojp3MNxzMY5xDpzOxkL>

<mailto:?subject=Looming%20Deadline&body=https://www.organicconsumers.org/node/1014991>ACTION
 ALERT
Looming Deadline

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=v8h8EiPBtbE2BK5hSzNNEcY5xDpzOxkL>
Monsanto’s friends in
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=as6Ap%2FFuHSBlG8XmNBzYMMY5xDpzOxkL>Congress

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qdPUKjHd%2BjULsBSgRJ1ao8Y5xDpzOxkL>will
 try to slip a version of the DARK Act (H.R. 1599), the bill that would Deny
Americans the Right to Know about GMOs, into the end-of-year appropriations
bill.

The appropriations bill, essentially a budget bill, must pass by midnight
December 11. Or the federal government will shut down.

Stopping this sneak attack
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=06rMVtPwLl7xX4TDGBCXacY5xDpzOxkL>
 on GMO labeling is even more urgent now that the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) has approved
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZsGnTXQXISkDUdFMplUqZhykW%2FEJL09i>
 GMO salmon.

Contrary to FDA claims, the AquAdvantage® salmon
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=XWq36%2BsJR0nk3m3eZFAJqMY5xDpzOxkL>
 is not the same as farmed salmon that has not been genetically engineered.
Developed in a laboratory by inserting the genes of a Chinook salmon and
eelpout (an eel-like fish) into an Atlantic salmon, “frankenfish” is less
nutritious than normal salmon, more likely to trigger an allergy, and could
increase cancer risks by raising levels of IGF-1, a hormone linked to prostate,
breast and colon cancers in humans.

Right now, the only states where GMO salmon will have to be labeled are Alaska
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=W4UWfJcNS1tPMgaoDJFvv8Y5xDpzOxkL>
 and Vermont
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ilEDHmibSo1P1bm%2BuEcFZ8Y5xDpzOxkL>.
 But those laws could be wiped out by a last-minute “sneak attack” rider to the
appropriations bill preempting states from enacting laws on any foods
containing GMOs, including frankenfish.

TAKE ACTION: Call and write your Senators and Member of Congress today! Tell
them to reject Monsanto’s GMO labeling sneak attack rider to the appropriations
bill.
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=NSWkl1MkdLlR7tf8q3NeYMY5xDpzOxkL>
Read our letter to the Chairman and Ranking Member of the U.S. Senate Committee
on Agriculture
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5K%2FQbqq7FhH9tfjJYAUV5cY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=6naPHWE2JV0ppoQJ2689DsY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IWVLnxvurF59KZmr7pqTvMY5xDpzOxkL>

<mailto:?subject=Eight%20Days&body=https://www.organicconsumers.org/node/1014996>SUPPORT
 OCA & OCF
Eight Days

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BzGnSGtjyOp%2BxQ4wvTNu6cY5xDpzOxkL>
As the midnight December 11 deadline for Congress to pass a budget bill
approaches, Monsanto and Big Food are still scrambling to put a permanent legal
end to GMO labeling laws, including the one in Vermont that’s set to take
effect July 1, 2016.

At this point, there’s no chance a Senate version of the DARK Act, passed by
the House in July, will be introduced, much less be subjected to proper
hearings or a vote. Monsanto’s only hope now is to attach a rider to the
appropriations bill, forcing Congress to either side with Monsanto, or face a
government shutdown.

We know what Monsanto and Big Food are aiming for—a worthless voluntary scheme
involving QR barcodes and smartphones. Just this week, the Grocery
Manufacturers Association (GMA) announced, with great fanfare, that 30
companies and counting have signed up for the GMA’s shiny new SmartLabel
technology. The GMA hopes consumers will swoon over a “labeling” system that
requires them to use a smart phone that leads to a flashy corporate website in
order to find out what’s in their food.

Will this Big Announcement from Big Food sway Congress to allow Monsanto to
stomp out state labeling laws?

Not if consumers object, loudly and often, every day for the next eight days.

As Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) told Congress yesterday:

"The bottom line is this is bad policy. Consumers are smart. They pay attention
to what they eat, and if you give them the ability to choose ... they will make
the right decision. And it's their decision to make."

We have eight days to stop Monsanto’s rider and save Vermont’s GMO labeling
law. We can do this. With your help.

Donate to the Organic Consumers Association
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QulRCzmE2i1%2FD2MZxaAbG8Y5xDpzOxkL>
 (tax-deductible, helps support our work on behalf of organic standards, fair
trade and public education)

Donate to the Organic Consumers Fund
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GlLMWwNhq4Au5f%2BXRmC0rsY5xDpzOxkL>(non-tax-deductible,
 but necessary for our GMO labeling legislative efforts)

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jn%2BM2NUgH71tZDvL5i6bmsY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZQQ1drwhQitTxEE7UBVU8cY5xDpzOxkL>

<mailto:?subject=Frankenfish%20Fraud%20Fest&body=https://www.organicconsumers.org/node/1015001>GMO
 LABELING CAMPAIGN
Frankenfish Fraud Fest

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=q4ba7pKHI%2B%2BaITWei3TmEsY5xDpzOxkL>
On November 2, 2015, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the
first genetically modified food animal—an Atlantic salmon that grows twice as
fast as natural salmon, thanks to the insertion of genes from Chinook salmon
and eelpout (an eel-like fish).

This approval is so wrong, on so many levels, that it’s hard to know where to
start.

For one, the FDA regulates GMO salmon as a drug, not a food—"because the
recombinant DNA (rDNA) construct introduced into the animal meets the
definition of a drug."

If that’s the case, you would think this new “drug” should be labeled. But it
won’t be, because out of the other side of the FDA’s mouth, the agency has
declared GMO salmon to be nutritionally equivalent to conventional farm-raised
Atlantic salmon.

As this article
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=91oJbfYtkQwk5XpuTdcfR8Y5xDpzOxkL>
 on Mercola.com <http://mercola.com/> says:

In the eyes of the FDA, it's a perfectly normal fish, but it's also a drug, but
since it's a fish that is comparable to other fish, it doesn't need to be
labeled, even though all drugs typically need to be labeled...

But of course the new frankenfish is not nutritionally equivalent to farmed
salmon. Worse yet, the FDA approved GMO salmon on the basis of flawed studies,
none of which included long-term safety testing to prove genetically engineered
salmon is safe for human consumption.

It’s a veritable Frankenfish Fraud Fest. And with an estimated
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pjv98u21prAZQAAfD9VtlRykW%2FEJL09i>
 35 other species of genetically altered food animals in the pipeline, it will
only get worse. Unless consumers boycott GMO salmon, and every retailer or
restaurant that sells it.

All you wanted to know about Frankenfish
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pQltaQtv%2F%2BC2Ev2VrBu3FsY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UndRbfOC2AOmwn0a4jfQ6MY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4D9vPSor%2FOWcEc%2FH1eAe6hykW%2FEJL09i>

<mailto:?subject=Good%20News%20from%20Paris&body=https://www.organicconsumers.org/node/1015006>VIDEO
 OF THE WEEK
Good News from Paris

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2FfmNdGIAARfwkYdiE5f8h8Y5xDpzOxkL>
If you’re following the climate talks in Paris this week, you probably haven’t
heard much about France’s “4 parts for 1000 Initiative.” That’s because the Big
Wigs (Bill Gates et al) and the Big Politicians, in their allegiance to the Big
Corporations, are fixated on too-small reductions in carbon emissions and on
how to profit from fancy new renewable energy technologies.

In our opinion, France’s “4 parts for 1000 Initiative” is the most exciting
news to come out of Paris. Which is why OCA has signed on to the Initiative
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gtMnUq74neu7ZIEAxBFo2sY5xDpzOxkL>,
 along with other countries and international NGOs from around the world.

France’s “4 parts for 1000 Initiative” connects the dots between soil, food and
climate. Here’s the theory behind the Initiative. The world’s soils contain two
to three times more carbon than the atmosphere. By increasing the amount of
carbon stored in the soil by just 4 parts for 1000 in the top 30 or 40cm of the
soil, we bring the increase in atmospheric CO2 to a dead stop.

How do we put more carbon in the soil? We stop turning forests into palm oil
and GMO soy plantations. And we start increasing organic regenerative farming
practices that build soil organic matter and increase the soil’s capacity to
draw down excess carbon from the atmosphere. (This is not to be confused with
Monsanto’s new “carbon-neutral”
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=7h2gyzBL8rpD7CPuDGYTKcY5xDpzOxkL>
 agriculture which might reduce CO2 emissions, but will never, ever rebuild
organic matter and draw down carbon from the atmosphere).

Watch the video
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qDkauWZCJOxe7rdw6KPWn8Y5xDpzOxkL>
More on France’s 4 per 1000 Initiative
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PqiAP7uXMynGgtQhHd0ERMY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5uvMeIRHd48VzqAksCR67cY5xDpzOxkL>

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=oKsu0VBv38IW%2B1qPZpAFGsY5xDpzOxkL>

<mailto:?subject=Essential%20Reading%20for%20the%20Week&body=https://www.organicconsumers.org/node/1015016>LITTLE
 BYTES
Essential Reading for the Week

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ftUeP5n3u7JIylmui%2FN1zMY5xDpzOxkL>
Global Agricultural Transition Under Way to Boost Resilience to Climate Change
and Reduce Emissions
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=n41oYUYytJU6YC0%2F7uDU4sY5xDpzOxkL>
Benefits of Strength Training: Strong Body Linked to Strong Mind
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ln45woa1obzXqd15IF4NQ8Y5xDpzOxkL>
Agent Orange Crops: EPA Turnaround on Toxic Herbicide 'Huge Victory for Future
of Food'
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=fOUZ1a6NXbLPLsvMQpIqFxykW%2FEJL09i>
3 Sometimes Forgotten Reasons Organic Whole Foods Are Better for the
Environment
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0n7kWVMMVrY7t1l14WFWo8Y5xDpzOxkL>
Groups Deliver a Turkey of a Dinner to Minnesota Senator
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VKVE6t45zTbMfqIlJN19ucY5xDpzOxkL>
Foreshadowing TPP Troubles — Trade Ruling Nixes Dolphin-Safe Tuna Label
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=o5tLi%2BbSvaS4R52XB0p2EsY5xDpzOxkL>
The Shocking Difference between Organic & Non-GMO Labels - It's Huge!
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1l6FMN2Oh7xibq53aa%2FyucY5xDpzOxkL>
 follow on Twitter
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=P%2FdwJQ%2B87zZYP%2FmSRMNIpBykW%2FEJL09i>
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=TJ%2FVdQAXX35JevMf7qgTs8Y5xDpzOxkL>
 | OCA on Pinterest
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=v%2BlSGwpUdHPQpjs4iezvnMY5xDpzOxkL>

Please forward this publication to family and friends, place it on web sites,
print it, duplicate it and post it freely. Knowledge is power!

Organic Bytes is a publication of Organic Consumers Association
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=D7Gg3YwYcW9WWI7aHbCcTcY5xDpzOxkL>

6771 South Silver Hill Drive - Finland, MN 55603 - Phone: 218-226-4164 - Fax:
218-353-7652