--In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote :

 But to answer the point: I would never have said "ignore your own experience"
but I often say "question the explanations you are given".

 Well, of course!  You're a fool not to!  Look, I've been given grief here
because I feel like I've taken a step up in my so called "experiences"

 But it's taken 35 years for God's sake, and has happened in spite of regular
meditation, in spite of stepping out of the movement for almost this entire
time.  For someone to say, it's "random brain activity" just seems rather
absurd.  For the record, it doesn't bother me, it just seems rather narrow,
that's all.

 And science is the best way of working out whether your subjective experience
"means" something in the wider context of physics and social functioning
because it sets up experiments that can fail if the thing being tested has no
actual validity. You may still have a good experience meditating even if it it
can't defeat the controls of a proper experiment and it turns out you aren't
creating world peace.

 Well it's funny you mention this, and perhaps you'd be kind enough to offer
your opinion on something.  Since my family situation has changed, I have time
to meditate after work, at work which I do, at least several days a week.  But
I do it leaning back in my chair, and after about 15 minutes I usually put my
head back and go into a rest mode.  I feel this meditation is just for
relaxation purposes,and nothing more, where as before, I would sit cross
legged, without back support, and that, I think led to a more spiritual type of
meditation in terms of the clarity of experience.  But I don't see myself going
back to that.

 And again, why this seeming prejudice to thinking "outside the box" This seems
rather limited to me.  My wife worked at IBM for thirteen years, and they
employed PhD's whose sole job was to do nothing, but think "outside the box"

 Read it again. I said If there is no basis to something, in this case the idea
that brainwaves travel outside of the brain can affect crime rates, then
there's no point coming up with ideas as to why it might happen. You need a
signal to make it worth postulating a cause for it. No signal = don't waste
your time.

 Look, whatever you say.  If this is your opinion, great.  If the state of
measurement for such things is final, then I guess you are right.  But, how do
you know for certain nothing else is going on.?

 Again, I'm not saying there is something else going on, but I am certainly
careful about making absolute statements.