Life History of H.H. Sri Swamiji 162

Pulihora(2) From the time Swamy entered into the ashrama at Kesere, he tried
constantly
to remove the airs and graces in the attitude of both the Sudras and
Brahmins(3). The
elders in both the groups did not like the interference by Swamy in this issue.
Swamy was
aware of this feeling. The leaders did not have the courage to face Swamy and
question
him on this issue. But, if they did not do anything about it and kept quiet,
they would lost
their respect in their own community. So, some of them encouraged a lady
devotee of
Swamy. She was from a lower class but for the past 2-3 generations her family
had been
financially in a better position. There is a saying from a famous Andhra Poet
"Sumanthi,"
"The one who has money is a king, oh, you learned one, know this truth". She
was a good
person by nature and exhibited obedience in front of Swamy. She had invited
Swamy to
her house few times and had conducted Pada Pooja as well. On being instigated
by the
elders in her community, she invited Swamy once more to her house for Pada
Pooja and
Swamy accepted the invitation. She made a special request for Swamy to come
early in the
morning. She had a particular plan in mind for having asked Swamy to come
early. Swamy
was very particular in observing certain principles. Whenever he was conducting
the homa
or pooja, the householders and those who cooked the food that day must be
wearing wet
clothes, and follow all the rules of "Madi". Until the "Anusthana(4)" in the
afternoon, Swamy
would not take anything by mouth. Those were his rules in those days. Swamy
went to her
house as promised. She had prepared Pulihora for prasadam, had kept it in a
large bowl
and covered it with a leaf. As soon as Swamy arrived, she said, "Swamy, I have
prepared
the pulihora with my own hands for you. Please accept it and bless me." Swamy
said, "Why
not, let us start the pooja first." "Pooja should not matter for persons like
you. If you take a
spoonful of it, I know that I will be blessed forever. Why then the ritual of
the pooja?" She
commented. She said, I will put these flowers on your feet." "Swamy gave her a
look of
surprise. Mum, he said to her, "You may consider that you are conducting my
pooja. But in
view, Pada pooja for me is what I consider as the pooja for my Guru. It is my
daily routine.
Thinking that you were going to conduct it, I came early this morning to your
house. You
know that I do not take anything by mouth till the pooja is completed. Let us
therefore
start the pooja first." Patiently Swamy gave her the explanation. She gave a
sarcastic smile
and said, "You are trying to find ways of getting out of the situation, are n't
you?" "Well
said," commented her friends standing nearby." "How did you get that doubt?"
Swamy
asked her. "It was not a doubt. I knew you would do so," she replied. "OK,
Serve me the
food then, I will eat it now," Swamy put his hand forward. Feeling proud of
having achieved
victory, she went to the bowl, took the leaf out and while looking at Swamy,
placed her
right hand in to take the food to serve Swamy. She pulled her hand out
immediately as
though it had received an electric shock. "What is it?" She shouted. The bowl
was full of
lilies. She had gone pale. "Serve me, Swamy ordered her" She was shaking from
head to
foot. "You made me put my hand out for food. Give me something. If not you and
your
family will suffer." "Pardon me," she repeated it three times. "The mistakes
committed
unknowingly can be pardoned. Upasakas and yogis do follow certain rules
concerning the
food they take. You did this deliberately. Our rules do not depend upon the
caste of the
person; they depend only on our observance of principles. You were aware of
this. You are
of late middle age and you have no children. You have wealth but no one inherit
it.
Probably the elders in your community who encouraged you may take care of you.
Or, who
knows, let us see, if they come to your rescue when you are in distress due to
loneliness."
Swamy was not shouting but very firm in each word he spoke. Everyone was
shocked.
Swamy continued, "I still wish for your welfare. Let no harm come to you,"
saying so,
Swamy placed a packet of vibhooti in her hand and walked out. On the way out,
he
counted his steps loudly, "One, two, three, four" and repeated it several
times. No one
understand the reason. After this episode Swamy became withdrawn for quiet a
while. The
next Sunday, after the homa he expressed his grief openly. "Those who received
the
benefits are criticising me now. Those who are profitting are disturbing my
sleep. those
who call me "Mahatma" are testing me. This place is not worth it. However much
I offer the
efforts of my tapas into this place, it is still not becoming "Satvic".
Thinking that it was
large enough, Ganapathi decided to come here on a temporary basis. Weekly
thousands
are coming and getting relief from their distress and suffering. I am telling
all of them to
find a new place for the ashrama. I have not requested them to give it free. I
am prepared
to buy a suitable land. Not even one father or mother here showed any
dedication to find a
suitable place for the ashrama. If a neighbour hurts your child, will you keep
quiet? If he
scolds your child, will you not get hurt? Am I not one of your children? How
long I have to
bear this telling off?" Swamy openly cried bitterly in front of about 3000
devotees that day.

This Yahoo group contains the complete story from the
beginning .
Satyam, or Satyanarayana referred to here was Sri Swamiji's name as a child.
Later
references to Swamy are to Him as well. It describes in detail Sri Swamiji's
relationship with
Ganapathi, His upanayanam, great compassion, commitment to Dharma, His
actions
demonstrating and other miraculous incidents.

Jaya Guru Datta

In Datta Seva
Hanuman
www.dattapeetham.com

Dying to be thin? Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AQDrNC/sbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM