---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <olliesedwuz@...> wrote :

 What you mention about someone with anger issues mucking up the whole
meditating community, is an odd effect from a technique that has so much to
offer. We all know the background of Maharishi not seeing a need for an
integration of the study of psychology with the benefits of TM, but this
appears to now have resulted in a serious problem wrt the movement's ongoing
liveliness.

 I guess the real question is: Why doesn't TM - if it has so much to offer -
not clear up people's anger problems?

 I guess I'm the naive one or maybe it was so long ago that I was involved in
TM and being around a bunch of meditators that I don't remember feeling this;
but I don't think I ever believed it could solve all the personality quirks and
hangups of people. Certainly in my experience people were just people at MIU
and I didn't look at any of them with stars in my eyes or did I think they
should be exhibiting perfect behavior. I think I probably thought some of the
higher level teachers might show me something other than the usual human
foibles in case they were close to enlightenment or something but there wasn't
a soul at MIU, either faculty, student or administrator who I expected to be
operating under some laws of perfection. I guess I missed the boat on that one
or had too much common sense flowing through my veins. See, this is why I never
was drawn to MMY per se or felt the need to remain in the Movement or become a
teacher. I just figured if the technique could help me physiologically and
possibly open up new worlds of consciousness to me then great. Otherwise, it
was all just so much crystal, rudraksha beads and cashmere from The Crest Jewel.

 It's hardly a rare thing, my overriding memories of working in the TMO was of
highly stressed, angry and generally dysfunctional people. Not all of them by
any means, but enough to make a casual observer wonder what was going on. And
what seemed to be going on was that these people thought they were doing fine
because they were On The Program and thus their thoughts were in perfect accord
with Natural Law. Therefore any problems are with other people.

 Did most people you worked with really think they were in accord with natural
law?! So, they thought they were enlightened or something? Or did they just
think because they meditated they were suddenly part of some elite club of do
gooders?

 The sooner you all get out of the idea that meditation - of any sort - makes
your thoughts special in some way the sooner it will start working like a
proper organisation with people holding themselves responsible for their
actions rather than everyone trying to rationalise why the leaders are hopeless
when Marshy - in his infinite wisdom - chose them for us.

 To somehow believe that in the absence of any instruction except, "take it
easy, take it as it comes", and the diligent practice of TM, that everything
will magically sort itself out mentally, emotionally, physically, socially, and
financially, is pretty naive. Add to that the inevitable "cart before the
horse" attitude wrt behavior in spiritual environments (faux emulation of
"enlightened" living), and you end up with a bunch of emotional powder kegs in
the community. Light is essential for seeing the world, but it is the shadows
that give everything its reality. Has anyone spoken to this angry person in a
clear and direct fashion, about this problem, or is that not possible?