True. The worlds most expensive bridge was "made in China" and it was supposed to be earthquake proof. Turns out it might not be.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/business/global/26bridge.html

And we here in the Bay Area are paying for that gross error. First off the old bridge should have been replaced way before the end of the 1990s but the politicians fought over what it was supposed to be: utilitarian or a landmark. Landmark won out but it took years to resolve and cost many times what utilitarian US made bridge would have. Our bridge tolls are now ridiculous.