"The experience of the Self, or "self-referral," means that our internal reference point is our own spirit, and not the object of our experience.  The opposite of self-referral is object-referral.  In object-referral we are always influenced by objects outside the Self, which include situations, circumstances, people, and things.  In object-referral we are constantly seeking the approval of others.  Our thinking and our behavior are always in anticipation of a response.  It is therefore fear-based.

In object-referral we also feel an intense need to control things.  We feel an intense need for external power.  The need for approval, the need to control things, and the need for external power are needs that are based on fear.  This kind of power is not the power of pure potentiality, or the power of the Self, or /real/ power.  When we experience the power of the Self, there is an absence of fear, there is no compulsion to control, and no struggle for approval or external power.

In object-referral, your internal reference point is your ego.  The ego, however, is not who you really are.  The ego is your self-image;  it is your social mask; it is the role you are playing.  Your social mask thrives on approval.   It wants to control, and it is sustained by power, because it lives in fear.

Your true Self, which is your spirit, your soul, is completely free of those things.  It is immune to criticism, it is unfearful of any challenge, and it feels beneath no one.  And yet, it is also humble and feels superior to no one, because it recognizes that everyone else is the same Self, the same spirit in different disguises.

That's the essential difference between object-referral and self-referral. In self-referral, you experience your true being, which is unfearful of any change, has respect for all people, and feels beneath no one.  Self-power is therefore true power.

Power based on object-referral, however, is false power.  Being ego-based power, it lasts only as long as the object of reference is there.  If you have a certain title -- if you're the president of the country or the chairman of a corporation -- or if you have a lot of money, the power you enjoy goes with the title, with the job, with the money.  Ego-based power will only last as long as those things last.  As soon as the title, the job, the money go way, so does the power.

Self-power, on the other hand, is permanent, because it is based on the knowledge of the Self.  And there are certain characteristics of self-power.  It draws people to you, and it also draws things that you want to you.  It magnetizes people, situations, and circumstances to support your desires.  This is also called support from the laws of nature.  It is the support of divinity;  it is the support that comes from being in the state of grace.  Your power is such that you enjoy a bond with people, and people enjoy a bond with you.  Your power is that of bonding -- a boding that comes from true love."

--Deepak Chropa, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success