--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> All valid observations and insights that you need to
> temper your own experience with, not deconstruct the
> validity of another's experience. You can only talk
> about what you experience, not another.

True, but I think you can draw inferences from your
own experience to other experiences. *Not* to challenge
them for challenge's sake, but to understand that we
all have the ability to *create* our own subjective
experience out of desire for such an experience. If
I know that about myself and my own experiences, and
become comfortable with it, then I can infer it with
regard to the experiences of others, and be comfort-
able with theirs as well.

> And certainly
> don't expect social consensus with someone like MMY.
> Your mind is never going to get him. Never, ever.
> Amen.

I think that my point is that no one will ever "get"
*anybody*.  Maharishi is no different than any other
human being on the planet in that regard.

> [...]
> > > projections of how the world (and gurus) should
> > be? I mean
> > > if one thinks MMY or whoever is "IT", "THE ONE",
> > won't the
> > > mind almost automatically create a sense of that
> > experience
> > > when one sees them? Particularly if it is a
> > > rare event / (always a) special occasion?
> >
> > Absolutely. The rarer the event is, the more likely
> > it is that the expected experience will occur.
> >
> > > Did the skinboys and inner circle types who were
> > around MMY
> > > constantly experience him as "blazing brahman".
> >
> > Absolutely not. That's why most of them left. Each
> > of us is free to decide whether they were right in
> > their decision to leave or not.
> >
> > > Could the need to experience a teacher as "blazing
> > brahman" justify
> > > the umpteen years poured into what now apear, at
> > least in part as
> > > trivial and silly projects of his?
> >
> > I think so. There is a strong tendency in all humans
> > to justify what one has dedicated years to. This
> > tendency
> > often keeps people paying lip service to what they
> > have
> > dedicated years to *years* past the time when they
> > no
> > longer feel it deserves their dedication. Most of
> > the
> > people I've ever met who have walked away from a
> > strong
> > involvement with a spiritual tradition have said
> > that
> > they did so several years later than they should
> > have.
> > The realization that they no longer "fit" predated
> > their ability to accept or act on that realization.
> >
> > > Someone once said that the grandeur of the
> > "described" experience
> > > around the teacher is inversely proportional to
> > ones proximity.
> >
> > There *is* a proximity factor at work here. The aura
> >
> > of a teacher is usually stronger in his/her close
> > proximity than it is far away. That is, until and
> > unless one develops an inner connection with the
> > teacher that transcends time and space. At that
> > point, distance no longer matters.
> >
> > But there are a myriad of energies that swirl around
> > a strong spiritual teacher. In my opinion, some of
> > these energies have to do with enlightenment, with
> > eternity itself. Other of the energies have to do
> > with the finite teacher and his or her good points,
> > and his or her lingering samskaras. One of the
> > things
> > that tends to happen when one is in close proximity
> > to a strong teacher is that one is bombarded by both
> > types of energies, and can have a hard time figuring
> > out which is which. Thus people sometimes begin to
> > mistake the strong energy of the lingering samskaras
> >
> > for the strong energy of enlightenment.
> >
> > Just an opinion, but one based on experience...

> > Dying to be thin? Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne

Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YbEMxA/ubOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM