> Why is "writer's
> ego" privileged?  Especially when a writer--at least
> a published one--is in a position to influence large
> numbers of readers?

"Writer's ego" is not privileged, just understood. :-)

As for influencing large numbers of readers, might
I suggest that your sense of perspective is as skewed
as Paul's is today?  As of today, his book is listed
in Amazon's sales rankings at number 1,092,234, which is
admittedly higher than any of mine, but it doesn't really
put him in the bestseller ballpark, does it?  His subject
matter is a gentleman whose name I think it is safe to
say 95% of the world's population does not recognize,
and couldn't possibly care less about if they *did*
recognize it, much less want to read a book about him.

Maharishi and his life are of enduring interest pretty
much only to those who learned TM in the past, and
really only to a small subset of them, primarily the
ones who became TM teachers or TBs. Maharishi is just
not that important from the world's point of view.
And thus those who write about him are even less
important in the grand scheme of things.

There is a certain liberation in not being important.
Maharishi has never understood that, nor have many of
his followers. Other teachers and other followers have.
It's purely a matter of preference, but I kinda prefer
the people who have a feel for their essential
unimportance than I do for those who feel important.

Signing off now...you can argue with empty cyberspace,
if you think...uh...it's important enough, or that
empty cyberspace considers you important enough to
listen to.  :-)

Dying to be thin? Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/abEMxA/sbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM