--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Again, I must politely disagree. The "press" rarely touches upon the
inner dynamics of
> history or current events, and has in fact been skillfully
manipulated to preserve the myth
> of Noble America. It takes time to put together a more accurate
history and reading of
> current events, and one must draw on many sources that "mainstream
Americans" almost
> never consult.

Someone posted the Nobel Prize for Literature Speech by the current or
recent winner. A lot of it focussed on the Reagan supported Qantra war
against the democratically elected Sandanistas in Nicuragua. It
prompted me to do some additioanl reading. Though this period occurred
during my adulthood, I was busy with career at the time and only had a
bit of a summary view of it all. When you dig into it, its pretty
repulsive.

> What has happened within the past few years is just that the current
administration has
> exacerbated the deeply-rooted fascist trends within this country and
made it harder to
> deny them.

While I have perhaps a stricter def of fascism than you, and may
quibble on the use of that word as the best word, I agree that the
manipulation, spin, control of news in this adminsitration has sunk t
new lows. But a big part of the problem is not the white house, not
corporate concentaration of media, but the "press" it self. Its
astounding and scary how Judy Miller almost single handly, blindly,
dupely, took us to war in Iraq. (yes thats an exageration, but a case
could be made that absent judy miller, the us may not have had the
support to invade iraq.) Where the F was management at the NYTs?

And your point of 50% americans thinking that Saddam blew up the
towers is shocking. And to think that after the debacle of Iraq, the
clear lies or incompetance that lead us their (WMD), the inept post
invasion managment, the illiterate and barely verbal nature of the
president -- that the american public could re-elect him is
mind-blowing. But then again, in just a year, the public has caught on
and his popularity is in the 30's.

> Many decades of conditioning have to be overcome in order to see this.

Its true, I beleive, that the American myth is taught and
indoctrinated in k1-12 texts and classes. At least it was when i grew
up, was when my niece was in school, and I suspect it still is - but
perhaps some progress has been made. Though "Intellignet Design" makes
you wonder.

KH posted some articles by a great "realist" historian (Howard Zinn)--
with popular books suitable for HS. But lamented its hard to teach
"real" stuff, because so much of the myth is part of the indoctrinated
and dogmatic ciriculum.

And one of the oddest and IMO funny, tho scary things is that media in
the us is generally a US news org. By definition its an oxymoron. Its
not reporting the "real" news, it reporting how OUR troops are doing,
etc. How can you objectively report a conflict if you take sides from
the outset.

It is a painful
> process. Not everyone wants to do it. No problem. Life is short, but
time will sort this
> question out for future historians.

I think things could tip either way -- at least for a while. But per
prior post, I am cautiously optimistic.

Need Help?  Get Help! Tools and Strategies for Healthy Drug-Free Living</a>.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wI.OUB/dbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM