Doug,

 Susskind seems to be saying that universes are created again and again, as
stated in the B. Gita.  But some universes are sterile and are not conducive to
human life.  So, in the end, he's using the anthropomorphic principle which
states that those universes that are similar to ours will harbor life as we
know it.  Why? because we live in such a universe.

 But some of Hawking's ideas are also present in the universes shown in De
Sitter space.  That these universes nucleate or percolate automatically in this
space without any intervention from a Deity.or deities.

 You may like the spiritual readings that Janet Sussman gives in her books with
her perceptions of time. Book title: Timeshift, The Experience of Dimensional
Change.
 http://timeportalpubs.com/ http://timeportalpubs.com/

 She will be giving a workshop in Fairfield, Ia. the weekend of June 2-3.
 Batgap interview:
 https://batgap.com/janet-sussman/ https://batgap.com/janet-sussman/