> On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:42 AM, authfriend wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> For #4, clearly M. gives an intro path and then talks on big "E"
> >> but never gives the full path, esp. regarding the finer
techniques
> >> for realization, which are simply missing.
> >>

> > Unless the techniques he teaches are in themselves a
> > full path, of course.
>
> Exactly my point. When seen in full perspective, the complete path
> is  truncated in this tradition.

You mean, when seen in the perspective of a *different*
path.  From the perspective of the TM path, other paths
are truncated.

> In the 60's, when naivete was still relatively high on "things
> eastern" it could pass. But as western understanding has increased
> and numerous teachers with TM-type meditation AND the continuing
> path in Patanjali and advaita, etc. many could see what was
> missing. That's not to say TM is "invalid" or an improper in some
> way, it's not. It just does not include the entire path to the
> states of consciousness claimed.

People tend to be impressed by a path that involves lots
of *stuff* to do and complicated levels of achievement
and fancy techniques, and equate this with "completeness."

MMY fell into this trap to some extent, but he's resisted
letting his path get too complicated in terms of meditative
techniques; most of the adjuncts he's added are on the
practical level (Stapathya-Veda, Ayur-Veda, Ghandarva-Veda,
etc.)

"Completeness" does not necessarily involve lots and lots
of *stuff*, as opposed to a small set of powerful basics
that ultimately provide it all.

> Once this trend was understood by the public then TM numbers began
> to drop.

I very seriously doubt this "trend" has been responsible
for most of the drop in TM numbers.  The vast majority of
the potential market for TM is oblivious to it.

 However the marketing apparatus is still quite a potent draw.

Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YbEMxA/ubOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM