--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- Patrick Gillam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > --- Peter wrote:
> > >
> > > But what is a religion? I certainly see how
> > someone
> > > would call the practice of TM "religious" because
> > the
> > > bija mantras are associated with certain " Hindu"
> > > dieties, but does that make it a religion? Ask a
> > hindu
> > > if TM is a religion and he'll think the very
> > question
> > > is absurd. Is TM a Hindu practice? I don't know,
> > I'm
> > > not Hindu! TM is a door into the mystery of pure
> > > Being. There are lots of doors. People get all
> > hung-up
> > > on the shape and color of the door.
> >
> > This response will satisfy many open-minded people,
> > but it's inadequate for the shaping of public
> > policy. Laws
> > and popular opinion are more blunt, less nuanced. So
> >
> > when we say "TM is not religious," we have to say it
> > as
> > we'd say "abortion is not murder" or "the Bible is
> > full of
> > nonsense," recognizing that many will agree with us,
> > but
> > many will condemn us for being so wrong.
> >
> > Of course, as my time in newsgroups has
> > demonstrated,
> > there's nothing one can say that won't generate
> > opposition,
> > so opposition in itself means little, doesn't it?
>
> The general public (whomever they are!) seem to like
> simple answers with black and white distinctions.
> Unfortunately life is not like that.

*Especially* in this case.

In my experience, if a person is reasonably open-
minded and is willing to sit still for a fairly
complex explanation, they'll accept that TM (both
practice and teaching) is not inherently religious
in any sectarian sense.  You can always expand your
definition of religion to include spirituality
generally; but you can also expand your definition
of spirituality to include all of human experience.