> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- Patrick Gillam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > the
> > >
> > > Have you actually leafed through the journals to
> > > review
> > > research on TM and moral behavior, Peter? I somehow
> > > got the impression the research was more than
> > > decent.
> > > I'm thinking of the Nidich's studies, which
> > > withstood repeated
> > > trials and peer review.
> >
> > I'd have to look at it again. But I remember whenever
> > I looked at it I was always bothered by some aspects
> > of it. Do you have a reference?
>
> If you Google Nidich AND moral reasoning you'll come up
> with a bunch of citations.  Here are three that were
> actually published in journals (peer reviewed? don't know):
>
> Nidich, S. I.; Ryncarz, R. A.; Abrams, A. I.; Orme-Johnson, D. W.;
> and Wallace, R. K. Kohlbergian cosmic perspective responses, EEG
> coherence, and the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi program.
> Journal of Moral Education 12: 166–173, 1983.
>
> Seeman, W.; Nidich, S.; and Banta, T. Influence of Transcendental
> Meditation on a measure of self-actualization. Journal of
Counseling
> Psychology 19: 184–187, 1972.
>
> Nidich, S.; Seeman, W.; and Dreskin, T. Influence of Transcendental
> Meditation: A replication. Journal of Counseling Psychology 20: 565–
> 566, 1973.

When in doubt see if they appear in the pubmed database. As far as I
known, all articles that appear there are published in peer-reviewed
journals. That doesn't mean the articles themselves are based on peer-
reviewed studies, just that the journal itself is "peer-reviewed" and
in the NIH database. Unfortunately, apparently the database doesn't

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

Items 1 - 14 of 14 One page.
1:  Walton KG, Schneider RH, Salerno JW, Nidich SI. Related Articles,
Links
 Psychosocial stress and cardiovascular disease. Part 3: Clinical and
policy implications of research on the transcendental meditation
program.
Behav Med. 2005 Winter;30(4):173-83.
PMID: 15981895 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2:  Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Staggers F, Rainforth M, Salerno JW,
Hartz A, Arndt S, Barnes VA, Nidich SI. Related Articles, Links
 Long-term effects of stress reduction on mortality in persons > or =
55 years of age with systemic hypertension.
Am J Cardiol. 2005 May 1;95(9):1060-4.
PMID: 15842971 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3:  Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Staggers F, Orme-Johnson DW,
Rainforth M, Salerno JW, Sheppard W, Castillo-Richmond A, Barnes VA,
Nidich SI. Related Articles, Links
 A randomized controlled trial of stress reduction in African
Americans treated for hypertension for over one year.
Am J Hypertens. 2005 Jan;18(1):88-98.
PMID: 15691622 [PubMed - in process]

4:  Walton KG, Schneider RH, Nidich S. Related Articles, Links
 Review of controlled research on the transcendental meditation
program and cardiovascular disease. Risk factors, morbidity, and
mortality.
Cardiol Rev. 2004 Sep-Oct;12(5):262-6. Review.
PMID: 15316306 [PubMed - in process]

5:  Fields JZ, Walton KG, Schneider RH, Nidich S, Pomerantz R,
Suchdev P, Castillo-Richmond A, Payne K, Clark ET, Rainforth M.
Related Articles, Links
 Effect of a multimodality natural medicine program on carotid
atherosclerosis in older subjects: a pilot trial of Maharishi Vedic
Medicine.
Am J Cardiol. 2002 Apr 15;89(8):952-8.
PMID: 11950434 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6:  Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Salerno JW, Robinson DK Jr, Fields
JZ, Nidich SI. Related Articles, Links
 Disease prevention and health promotion in the aging with a
traditional system of natural medicine: Maharishi Vedic Medicine.
J Aging Health. 2002 Feb;14(1):57-78.
PMID: 11892761 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7:  Schneider RH, Castillo-Richmond A, Alexander CN, Myers H, Kaushik
V, Aranguri C, Norris K, Haney C, Rainforth M, Calderon R, Nidich S.
Related Articles, Links
 Behavioral treatment of hypertensive heart disease in African
Americans: rationale and design of a randomized controlled trial.
Behav Med. 2001 Summer;27(2):83-95.
PMID: 11763829 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8:  Schneider RH, Nidich SI, Salerno JW. Related Articles, Links
 The Transcendental Meditation program: reducing the risk of heart
disease and mortality and improving quality of life in African
Americans.
Ethn Dis. 2001 Winter;11(1):159-60. No abstract available.
PMID: 11289239 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9:  Nidich SI, Schneider RH, Nidich RJ, Rainforth M, Salerno J,
Scharf D, Smith DE, Dillbeck MC, Nader TA. Related Articles, Links
 Maharishi Vedic vibration technology on chronic disorders and
associated quality of life.
Front Biosci. 2001 Apr 1;6:H1-6.
PMID: 11282570 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

10:  Nader TA, Smith DE, Dillbeck MC, Schanbacher V, Dillbeck SL,
Gallois P, Beall-Rougerie S, Schneider RH, Nidich SI, Kaplan GP,
Belok S. Related Articles, Links
 A double blind randomized controlled trial of Maharishi Vedic
vibration technology in subjects with arthritis.
Front Biosci. 2001 Apr 1;6:H7-H17.
PMID: 11282569 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

11:  Castillo-Richmond A, Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Cook R, Myers
H, Nidich S, Haney C, Rainforth M, Salerno J. Related Articles,
Links
 Effects of stress reduction on carotid atherosclerosis in
hypertensive African Americans.
Stroke. 2000 Mar;31(3):568-73.
PMID: 10700487 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

12:  Calderon R Jr, Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Myers HF, Nidich SI,
Haney C. Related Articles, Links
 Stress, stress reduction and hypercholesterolemia in African
Americans: a review.
Ethn Dis. 1999 Autumn;9(3):451-62. Review.
PMID: 10600068 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

13:  Schneider RH, Nidich SI, Salerno JW, Sharma HM, Robinson CE,
Nidich RJ, Alexander CN. Related Articles, Links
 Lower lipid peroxide levels in practitioners of the Transcendental
Meditation program.
Psychosom Med. 1998 Jan-Feb;60(1):38-41.
PMID: 9492237 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

14:  Blackwell B, Bloomfield S, Gartside P, Robinson A, Hanenson I,
Magenheim H, Nidich S, Zigler R. Related Articles, Links
 Transcendental meditation in hypertension. Individual response
patterns.
Lancet. 1976 Jan 31;1(7953):223-6.
PMID: 55533 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]