--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> on 1/2/06 5:22 PM, sparaig at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

> >> Then I guess TM didn't have the predicted effect on those
responsible
> > for
> >> propagating TM. If it had, they would have made more sensible
> > decisions.
> >>

> > Quite so, but is it the case that the decisions haven't been
worthwhile?

> > Raising the price allows people to take out loans to learn it.
That
> > gives it far more legitimacy than if it was taught for $10.
>
> Does it? Amma insists that her meditation be taught for free. Course
> participants may be asked for $10-$30 to cover the teacher's travel
> expenses, etc., and the course includes two meals. Does that
arrangement
> make it illegitimate?

In the minds of the business owners that might set aside meditation
times for their employees if they are convinced it will contribute to
the bottom line of productivity?

Consider these martial arts teachers... Who do you want to learn
from, the guy who teaches for free at the cafeteria of the local jr
high school in the evenings, or the guy who charges $65/month for
group classes at his own studio, and $80/hour for 1 on 1 instruction?

Actually, the above are both the same person: when he started out,
Augustine Fong taught Wing Chung at Spring Jr. High in the evenings
for free. 35 years later, he's got his own school and some of this
students have an international reputation (e.g. Danny Chan, who beat
the crap out of me in a friendly way when he was 16 at said Jr High
School).