--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I taught full time I never saw myself as "selling mantras" or
> some such thing, but charging for the cost of maintaining a center,
> publicity and other expenses, and a maintainance lifestyle for me the
> teacher - plus of course giving about 1/2 to the parent corp as a
> franchise fee for its role in developing the product and conducting
> other support operations - at least that's the business angle on
> understanding the course fee for TM.  In short you're charging for the
> cost of making tm easy and convenient for someone in the US to learn.

Agreed.

> I think that was fair when the cost was $75-$175 which it was when I
> taught.  Now with the fee at $2500 or more, that whole model breaks
> down in my mind.

I just checked an inflation index from 1968 -- when prices were
$75/$35 for adults and students. Prices have increased by a factor of
12.3 times since then.

A surprisingly large factor, but then again, adult theatre tickets
were around $1, a gal of gas around $.3, a nice middle class home in
the SF Bay Area waS $30,000, a large Hersheys chocolate bar with
almonds was $.10, etc., an all day ski lift ticket at a premier area
was $5 ($75 now), hard bound "best sellers were around $2, a new VW
was $1200 or so (I think), etc

Thus in "today's dollars", the 1968 equivalent price TM for an adult
is about $925.

One could argue (not me particularly) that the value of the prodcut
has increased due to the availability of adjuct products that are now
available to enhance the core porduct: AV, jyotish, yagyas, gems,
sidhis, collective consiousness, etc.

Thus a price of $1500-2000 would not be unreasonable given the more
complete product portfolio available compared to the lone product
offering at $925.

An extra $500 (25%) ($20 in 1968 terms) is added for "humanitarian
projects" not unlike what some firms like Starbucks and Ben and
Jerry's do (thought their percentage may be different).

Voila $2500 is "reasonable". And not so far off from 1968 prices. And
heck, you get a King thrown in for free!

(See link. You need to do some multiplication to get the index back 38
years.)
http://www.watsonwyatt.com/europe/pubs/longtermstats/render2.asp?ID=14440