--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > That there are apparent contradictions as consciousness unfolds,
> > > does not imply that ALL contradictory statements are valid or
> > > "enlightened".  Doublespeak, masquerading as rational or superior
> > > insights, is the tool of charlatans and political repression. It is
> > > manifestation the orwellian vison of 1984.
> > >
> > > A clear, finely tuned intellect is necessary for realization and
> > > appreciation of higher states. Muddled thinking, gross and over
> > > reaching generalizations, are not a sign of higher states, but of
> > > bondage and ignorance.
> >
> > Thanks for this. I haven't had such a good laugh
> > in days.
>
> I dunno... maybe my thinking is muddled, but Akashanon's comment
> didn't strike me as the least bit funny.
>
> Yesterday, while alone on a trip to Iowa City, the sentence, "A clear,
> finely tuned intellect is necessary for realization and appreciation
> of higher states." was in the back of my mind all day. And judging by
> my recent experience, I disagree. I can see how a finely tuned
> intellect would be useful for more accurately conveying in language
> the experience of non-dual awareness, but for me, at least, the real
> appreciation has been on the level of heart. Trying to analyze it
> intellectually is only mildly interesting and somewhat frustrating;
> but, just innocently being aware of the awareness is like bathing in
love.

> Alex

I think the word "necessary" was too strong. Though I think MMY in the
Gita goes that far in saying that. Anyone have those quotes handy?
"Quite useful" is perhaps a better restatement.

"Trying to analyze it intellectually" is not away to realize IT. Many
people get confused on this point. The intellect does realize IT via a
forward analytical process, but but a reverse process of elimination.
Like "The Dog that Did Not Bark".

A refined and sharp intellect can clearly discern what is NOT IT. Via
a neti neti process, false premises of IT fall away. Utimately, the
intellect is able to discern between iteslf and IT (Purusha).
This is a beautifully inverted and hyper-concise sort of sutra, that
becomes clear when it happens.

There is more to it. Through discrimination (and a growing clarity of
IT being aware of ITself), the intellect realizes, (in an Eureka like
moment), that the intellect is not the doer.

Up to that point, via neti neti, common sense and reasoning, its clear
that the doer, (the individual self) is not the body, and its not the
cognitive/conceptual mind. Realization that the doer is not the
intellect, or more precisely that the intellect is not a doer, is like
a sword being pulled out of stone and used to cut away the last ropes
holding "one" imprisoned.

At that point its clear what the intellect is not, and what simply IS.
The intellect which was thought, felt, held to be "the core", is found
not to be "the core", and IT is realized to be "the CORE". It is this
realization of what the "Core" is, is what the intellect can do well.
It can realize the distiction between buddhi (intellect) and Purusha.

On the surface, the words as they are in the sutras, do not sound
profound, but rather obvious (as in "who would ever mistake the
intellect which is active and discriminating with wholenss that is
silence?") . Its when its realized that the real meaning of the sutra
that the sutra's profoundness unfolds. Its a realization that the
"core" is not the intellect, and what remains is the "CORE". And  the
intellect clearly realizes it is different from the CORE. What remains
--- the fruits of the intellects ability to sharply discern "what is
NOT"  --- is the CORE.