> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Shemp,
> >
> > I know from past interactions that you appreciate
> > some of the artworks of a fellow I know.  I saw a
> > *very* rare piece of his tonight that I thought
> > you would dig hearing about.
> >
> > The artist in question is known for the precision
> > of his line drawing.  He's reknowned for his comics,
> > but his drawing has been compared to some of the
> > olde masters, and with reason.  So anyway, what
> > I came across tonight was a leftover from the
> > early days of him teaching himself how to draw.
> > Early on, he became fascinated with Japanese ink
> > painting, and the Zen of it.  It's a very Now
> > artform, because the paper that the artist paints
> > on is so fragile that the entire painting has to
> > be done in one long brushstroke.  If you pause
> > or lift the brush from the paper, you tear it and
> > the whole piece goes in the trashbin.
> >
> > Anyway, the piece I found that I know you would
> > just love is from a period in which this artist
> > was trying to draw like this, in one long stroke,
> > never lifting his pen from the paper until the
> > work was finished.  He still has a few of the
> > drawings from that period, but this piece of art
> > is not even pen on paper.
> >
> > It's done on an Etch-a-sketch.
> >
> > And it's magnificent.  I really loved it, not only
> > because the drawing is lovely, but because it's
> > so incredibly fragile.  It could never be transported
> > anywhere, because if you tried to move it very far,
> > whatever the mechanism is inside an Etch-a-sketch
> > machine that erases the current painting and creates
> > a blank "canvas" for the next painting would get
> > activated during the move.
> >
> > The whole thing reminded me of Tibetan sand mandalas.
> > They're a very ephemeral artform as well.  Six or
> > seven monks work for six or seven months to create
> > this perfect mandala, painted in colored sand.  And
> > then at the end of the process, because the work of
> > art really can't be preserved and was never intended
> > to be preserved in the first place, the monks just
> > sweep all the sand into a sack, offer it to the gods,
> > and start on the next mandala.

I saw the sand mandala that was part of a Kalachakra ritual performed
by HHDL in Sarnath. Just before it was destroyed. Symbolizing the
impermanance of relative life. Along with 500,000-1 mil pilgrims from
Nepal and Tibet. It was special. And amazing.

The devotion of some lay participants still "burns" in my memory. For
example, a teen girl taking darshan and blessing for her beads from
each of the 1000 buddha statues in the Sarnarth Museum. While some
jaded readers may see this as rituals tied to tired dogma, if you saw
the devotion on her face, you would be touched.