--- In another thread, I snided:

> Actually, there IS one scenario in which I would
> rejoin the TM movement. If it succeeded in raising
> 10 trillion dollars and agreed to give *all* of it
> to me, I'd gladly pretend to be part of the TMO
> again. It's not like I'd teach TM or attend any
> meetings or anything, but I'd agree to pay lip
> service to the TMO by keeping my mouth shut and
> not criticizing it. Meanwhile, I'd take the money
> and give it away to spiritual and charitable
> institutions *other* than the TMO. Every penny of
> it.

Interestingly, the issue of *how* to give money to
spiritual organizations in the "cleanest" possible
way, one that insures the highest benefit for all
concerned, has been discussed recently on another
forum of which I am a member. Here's a compilation
of ideas that came up there for how folks there
felt that charitable donations should be handled.

* Never give money to an organization without
specifying exactly what it is to be spent for
and receiving a written agreement from the
organization that it will be spent for that
purpose and *only* that purpose. Include wording
that spells out what happens if the money is
*not* spent as agreed. (For example, the full
amount has to be returned to the donor.) If the
organization does not agree to this, more often
than not you really don't want to support it.

* Never give money to any organization that does
not agree to do a *public* accounting of every penny
they received for the project you are supporting,
and what each penny was spent on.

* Only give money to pay for goods and services,
not to pay for the lifestyles of people in the
receiving organization. That is, if you are
donating to help teach meditation, specify that
the money has to be spent on renting halls, pay-
ing for advertising or posters, and for giveaway
materials, but *not* to pay the rent for the
teachers themselves, so that they don't have to
work at a "day job." (Almost everyone on the forum
where these suggestions came up has been a teacher
of meditation and self discovery. Almost everyone
on the forum agrees that it is a *bad* idea for
teachers of meditation to be paid for their services. )

* Require the receiving organization to provide
you (the donor) with quarterly reports in which
they detail the progress that has been made on
the project you supported and how the money you
donated has been spent so far. If they balk at
doing this, chances are something is wrong.

* Require the receiving organization to publish
the incomes of *all* personnel who work for it
full-time, including all "perks" that they may
receive in lieu of actual salary. (For instance,
houses and cars provided for free to clergy,
vacations, travel expenses, etc.)

* Require the receiving organization to publish
at least yearly a breakdown of the percentage of
money donated that is actually spent on projects
and not on supporting the organization itself.
For example, if you read the "fine print" in the
United Way brochures (which, sadly, no one does),
you learn that less than 40 cents on every dollar
raised goes to the charities it supports. The rest
goes to salaries for the full-time workers (many
of them six-figure salaries) and to support the
bloated structure of the organization. If more
potential donors *knew* this, they would give their
money -- 100% of it -- directly to the charities
that the United Way claims to support.

Other ideas were equally interesting, in my opinion.
I'm just "crosspollenating" the subject here on FFL
to see how people here -- many of whom have given
money to the TMO and other organizations in the
past or are still doing so -- feel about the subject.