> Yes I was aware of this. Much of it, from what I had read in the
> past, seems to be part scientific materialist vs. higher states of
> consciousness debate.

Yeah, none of the material I cited had anything to
do with resistance to the idea of higher states of
consciousness.  It wasn't even mentioned.

There was a *lot* of resistance, however, to the
thesis of a book by a man named Temple that claimed
the Dogon were told about the Sirius system by a
bunch of extraterrestrials from Sirius on a visit
to Earth.

(Actually I guess one could consider Temple's thesis
an example of resistance to the idea of knowledge
obtained through higher states of consciousness,
although none of what I read *about* Temple's book
suggested such a position on his part.)

 It would be virtually impossible for a hard-
> core materialistic scientist to understand the states of
> consciousness these peoples were accessing.

If that's what they were, in fact, doing.

> There are a number of tribes in Africa in which the majority
> of the people are spiritually
> awake. Or at least there were. Many in Mali are being destroyed by
> infection of Islam and other Abrahamical "religions" which don't
> support or even allow such "pagan" or "primitive practices.
>
> This the relevance of the song and it's theme of scientific
> materialism and the limitations of the waking state.

I have no problem at all with this theme, to the contrary.
It's just not at all clear that the Dogon notions about
Sirius are an example of transcending such limitations.