That's a very good question.
In order to stay within the safe side, the Pole Star must be considered as the true north and this is found in vedic litrature ( Puranas)
Even though Pole Star's axis changes in many thousands of years, but for our human life is safe to construct our towns and homes with reference to that.

Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
on 1/27/06 11:28 PM, m2smart4u2000 at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If we are building our houses according to Stapatya veda, and they are
> supposed to face east, do we all have to rebuild them every 10 years?
> The declination in my area changes .16 degrees per year.

Why is that? Is the earth shifting on it axis? Maybe buildings should be
built on big Lazy Susans (turn tables).