> On Feb 5, 2006, at 2:54 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > As the term is generally used in Buddhism, ethics
> > comes from within and never changes; it implies a
> > sensitivity to one's own internal "meter" of right
> > and wrong.
>
> Yep, the whole theme of "relative bodhichitta" vs. "absolute
> bodhichitta".
>
> As Ken Wilber puts it 'Ethos follows Eros.' Your style of ethical
> functioning will be action which follows the "grain" of the
> evolution of the Kosmos. It's the way we interact so we follow
> the grain of Kosmos and support others at the same time. If
> you don't follow that "grain", you're going to get 'carpet burn.'

Nicely put.  Yup, that's the meaning of 'ethics' I
thought you had in mind.

And the ironic part is that 'carpet burn' is individual.
Two people could be faced with the exact same quandary.
One resolves it using Behavior X and supports both
his further evolution and that of the sentient beings
around him. The other resolves the situation using
the same Behavior X and gets 'carpet burn.' Go figure.  :-)