--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> Of course, Dixon's comments about Ted Kennedy were irrelevant, but
> the point is that Robert Kennedy did do multiple approvals of the
> wiretaps.
> As far as Robert Kennedy's character supposedly making him only a
> reluctant supporter of the wiretap campaign against King, he was a
> mutt who loved Sen McCarthy's witchhunt and worked for that lowlife
> alongside the execrable Roy Cohn. Kennedy defended both his work
> for McCarthy and McCarthy himself long after even middle of the
> road Americans were totally disgusted with both:

That was in 1955, and it doesn't necessarily negate
reluctance on his part to wiretap King.

In any case, most people who have been paying attention
are aware that Bobby Kennedy went through a major
transformation after JFK was killed.

The poem by Aeschylus he quoted when he addressed
the campaign crowds in Indianapolis to announce MLK's
assassination--

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
until, in our own despair,
against our will,
comes wisdom
through the awful grace of God."

--evidently was an emblem, to him, of his change
of heart (and perhaps even a tacit expression of
regret for not having treated King properly).