--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's hard to debate with someone who continually resorts to
demeaning
> stereotypes and refuses to accept facts.

Tell you what, Mother Theresa, why don't you go down to a soup
kitchen in your neighbourhood and take a look at the people in line.

See how many thin people there are.

You know, to even suggest that there are people hungry in this
country is an insult to the REAL poor of the world who are truly
deserving of your attention and faux-pity and faux-concern.

> -- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> > >
> > > My objections to your posts on poverty are first that you
> > stereotype the poor
> > > (does anyone ask you if you are spending your money
on "frivolous"
> > things?)
> > > and second that your definition of poverty is out of the
> > mainstream, useless
> > > and wrong.
> > >
> > > Just to give one example, consider this, which I took from the
> > Catholic
> > > Campaign for Human Development at
> > > http://www.nccbuscc.org/cchd/povertyusa/index.htm
> > >
> > > "Since 1999, the number of poor Americans suffering from `food
> > insecurity'
> > > and hunger has increased by 3.9 million - 2.8 million adults
and
> > more than
> > > one million children. In 2002, 34.9 million people lived in
> > households
> > > experiencing food insecurity - that is, not enough food for
basic
> > nourishment -
> > > compared to 33.6 million in 2001 and 31 million in 1999. (U.S.
> > Department of
> > > Agriculture, Household Food Security in the United States,
2002,
> > October
> > > 2003.)
> > >
> > > So much for your notion that no one in this country suffers
from a
> > lack of the
> > > necessitites of life.
> >

> > Sorry, I don't believe it for a moment.
> >
> > If you and I went down to the homes of the people in the study,
what
> > do you think we'd find?
> >
> > I think we'd find people wasting their money on fast food or
> > cigarettes or beer.
> >
> > The reality is that you can earn minimum wage in this country
and
> > have enough for basic nutritional intake.
> >
> > Don't believe everything you read...and start to think for
yourself,
> > feste37.
> >
> > Oh, and two more words for you: food stamps.
> >

> > > Perhaps you have a rosy view of things because Arizona doesn't
> > figure in the
> > > top ten "poverty" states, which are
> > > 1. Mississippi    17.3% below the poverty line
> [...]
the
> > poor
> > do
> > within