--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "uns_tressor"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Nostradmus, although he definitely had some stuff
> > going for him in the seeing department, was as
> > paranoid as a long-tailed cat in a room full of
> > rocking chairs. He believed (accurately, as it
> > turns out) that the world was full of Inquisitors
> > and schemers trying to get him condemned as a
> > heretic. So when it came time to publish his
> > quatrains, the well-documented story of *how*
> > he published them was that he cut them up into
> > two-line snippets...
>
> Where did your well-documented story come from?

BTW, I missed this before. T'would seem that
Nostradamus did this (cutting his manuscripts
into snippets and throwing them up into the
air to randomize the order of them) before
witnesses, several of whom were members of
the French royal family, and who later wrote
about what they had seen in the pages of
history. It's pretty much accepted as the
way things went down.

It's why I have little interest in his works.
There might have been value in the original,
sequenced set of visions. But without that
sequence, what you're left with is a random
set of two-liners to figure out, none of
which necessarily has anything to do with
the two lines that precede or follow it.

I think that "interpreting Nostradamus" is
pretty much in the same ballpark as reading
tea leaves in the bottom of a teacup. The
actual pattern is random; people see in that
random pattern whatever they see. Sometimes,
the random pattern of tea leaves triggers
some real seeing, triggers a true psychic
vision. But most of the time people just
see what they want to see. Or what they
think the client is willing to pay for.
The vibe I get on this new book is that
it falls into the latter category; it's
clearly pandering to the self-importance
of a buying public living in these times,
and wanting to believe that the Nightly
News of those times was important enough
to have been seen by Nostradamus centuries
ago.