>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
[web1913]:

  Gypsy \Gyp"sy\, n.; pl. {Gypsies}. [OE. Gypcyan, F. gyptien
     Egyptian, gypsy, L. Aegyptius. See {Egyptian}.] [Also spelled
     gipsy and gypsey.]
     1. One of a vagabond race, whose tribes, coming originally
        from India, entered Europe in 14th or 15th centry, and are
        now scattered over Turkey, Russia, Hungary, Spain,
        England, etc., living by theft, fortune telling,
        horsejockeying, tinkering, etc. Cf. {Bohemian}, {Romany}.

              Like a right gypsy, hath, at fast and loose,
              Beguiled me to the very heart of loss. --Shak.

     2. The language used by the gypsies. --Shak.

     3. A dark-complexioned person. --Shak.

     4. A cunning or crafty person [Collog.] --Prior.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"

<salsunshine@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Egypt actually.
> >
> > Sal
>

> Nope.  India.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/~patrin/history.htm
>

> > On Feb 17, 2006, at 9:32 AM, shempmcgurk wrote:
> >
> > >  > Oddly enough, Chopra looks very much like a former
friend
> > >  > of mine, whose mother apparently was an almost
full-blooded