on 2/20/06 1:34 AM, hugheshugo at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thanks I've just read the sadie files. very interesting.
>
> I think you've missed the point though, Maharishi claims to be a
> celibate monk and was apparently sleeping with his disciples I can't
> think of anything that undermines the TM movement more. What else
> has he lied about, the maharishi effect? good fund raiser that.
> Ayurveda? never worked for me but rakes in millions.
>
> I'm serious, it's more than a question of consenting adults, a lot
> of people will have nervous breakdowns they are into this stuff so
> much, they believe MMY speaks with the voice of god! And all the
> time he was getting blow jobs of young girls too scared or awed to
> know any better!
>

> How can the truth not be black and white?

It never is. I share your questions and sentiments, but I've spent enough
time around Maharishi to know that he has many good qualities and is
remarkable in many ways. Regardless of his behavior, he appeared to me to be
in a very high state of consciousness: his darshan was transformative, his
intellect brilliant, his energy extraordinary. When I was a new meditator
and hadn't met him yet, a friend was razzing me about Maharishi's Rolls
Royces. I responded that I didn't know about that, but that if the benefits
I was getting from TM were any indication of the man's worth, he must be a
remarkable man. I still assert that, although I have very little doubt that
the sexual allegations are true, that he's an unethical businessman, etc.
I'm not saying those things are acceptable; they detract from his greatness,
and are probably symptomatic of the underlying reasons why the TMO has
failed. Just that he's made a larger-than-life contribution to the world
despite his foibles.