Very good, Judy, but actually, Feste is in Twelfth Night, not King Lear. But
you
are right about the wisdom part. Feste is a very non-attached character in that
play; he knows everything that is going on but belongs nowhere and doesn't
care to. He also has the last word in the play -- another reason why he is a
particular friend of mine . . .

btw, your admirable attempt to hold the line on "lie" rather than "lay" is I
fear
doomed to failure. The battle has been lost and I see no way of reversing it. I
am concentrating my efforts these days on "off of," which I regard as an
abomination on a par with . . . no, better not get into that.