> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > You regularly indulge him in the "pushing buttons"
> > > theme.  How could I tell this comment was sarcastic?
> >
> > I can't help but guffaw here, because this is just
> > too precious. The whole *thread* was initiated to
> > poke fun at Judy's continuing tendency to "translate"
> > what other people are "really" saying in their posts,
> > because she "knows" what they're saying. She's on
> > record here dozens of times of claiming that they
> > really "mean" exactly the opposite of what they say
> > they mean. It's rather an amazing siddhi she professes
> > to have, if you think about it.
> >
> > But it seems to function irregularly. Now she can't
> > even tell when Lawson is being sarcastic and when
> > he's not.
> >
> > Maybe the siddhi only works on...what is her term...
> > "anti-TMers."  :-)
> >
> > Thanks to both Judy and Lawson for making my morning.
> > You just can't make this kinda stuff up. It's really
> > delightful...
> >
> > :-)  :-)  :-)
>
> By the way, Jude...before you go off on one of
> your familiar rants about my use of quotation
> marks, it's worth remembering that sometimes
> they are used for comic *emphasis*, not to
> indicate a direct quote. Y'know...sorta like
> when Dr. Evil makes the 'quote marks' in the
> air with his fingers when he says "laser."
>
> In other words, I did not mean to imply above
> that you have ever used the words "translate,"
> "really," "knows," or "mean." I think we all
> understand that you have never used any of
> those words.  :-)  :-)  :-)

Oh, sorry, you screwed up again.  Never said I
haven't used any of those words.  That's more
of your fantasy world, Barry.

As to "comic emphasis," that's not done by using
quote marks when it could be mistaken for a direct
quote.  You do it to imply the person you're
attacking has actually *used* those words.  But
in many cases--one more time--they're from your
fantasy world, not from the world the rest of us
live in.