> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Basically, I still have enough residual trust in the
> > > courts of America to hope that the TMO will *lose*
> > > this case, and big-time. (*Especially* if Jim's lawyers
> > > are smart enough to show the judges photos of the Rajas
> > > in their robes and crowns.)
> >
> > Has mike waived his right to a jury trial?
>
> It may not be up to him. Many states reserve the
> right to try non-criminal civil cases before a
> single judge or a panel of judges.

Just curious. What states are those? Is Florida?among them. If so does
the exclusion of civil case jury trials apply to trademark cases?

"In civil cases in state court, the right to a jury trial is governed
by the state's constitution and statutes. The Supreme Court has
repeatedly held that the Seventh Amendment right to a jury trial
applies only to federal courts, not to state courts. As a practical
matter, though, most states make jury trials widely available for many
kinds of civil cases above the level of small claims court."

> > What part of trademak law would that violate? Is there a stealth
> > statute in there that "all trademarks  will becom null and void
> > if the holders have any rajas with robes and crowns"?
>
> The issue I have in mind is one of relative sanity,
> not trademark rights.

Oh, is Mike filing a counter-suit using Florida's "sanity Laws" to sue
the TMO?

>Try to imagine the scenario:
>
> You are in a Florida courtroom, in front of someone
> who is most likely a conservative Republican judge

Why is that? Do you have breakdown of judge political leanings in
Florida. As I remember, the state is a swing state -- about 50/50
split dem rep. Wasn't there an election there decided by only 300 votes?

> (and possibly a jury composed of equally conservative
> Americans, many of them terrified of cults).

Possibly. And possibly martians. But what is the actual likelihood in
a purple state -- red and blue?

And is your point that democrats like cults? And all conservative
republicans hate them? Sorry I didn't see that polls. btw, is Tim
LeHaye and all a cult?

>Mike's
> attorney is questioning the "certified" teachers who
> have filed this suit on the stand:

> Mike's Attorney: So this is a photo of the most recent
> gathering of the people who run the TM organization
> in Vlodrop, Switzerland. Can you tell us who these
> people are who are wearing the long flowing robes
> and crowns?

Plantiff Attoney: "Objection your honor. Irrelevant to trademark law."
Judge: "Sustained."

> True Believer: Well, they're the Rajas, of course.
> They are the people whom Maharishi has trusted to
> run his movement at this time.
>
> MA: And what did these people have to do to qualify
> to become "Rajas?"

Plantiff Attoney: "Objection your honor. Irrelevant to trademark law."
Judge: "Sustained."

> TB: Well, they each had to pay a million dollars each.
> That gives them the right to be Rajas, to wear these
> elegant robes and crowns, and to run things.
>
> MA: And this new policy of "recertification" that
> we've heard of -- in which previously-trained TM teachers
> are required to pay the TM organization several thous-
> and dollars, quit their jobs, and teach full time or
> not teach at all -- this policy was created by Maharishi
> and these "Rajas."

Plantiff Attoney: "Objection your honor. Irrelevant to trademark law."
Judge: "Sustained."

> TB: That's correct.
>
> MA: And you are one of the people who paid several
> thousand dollars to be "recertified" and teach TM
> full time, and were promised a monthly salary for life
> if you did this?

Plantiff Attoney: "Objection your honor. Irrelevant to trademark law."
Judge: "Sustained."

> TB: Yes, that's correct.
>
> MA: And during this "recertification" course, did you
> learn any new skills or teaching methods, anything that
> you had not learned when you were *first* certified as
> a TM teacher?

Plantiff Attoney: "Objection your honor. Irrelevant to trademark law."
Judge: "Sustained."

> TB: No, I did not.
>
> MA: And, just as a matter of interest to the court, how
> many salary checks have you received from Maharishi and
> the "Rajas" since you became "recertified" and learned
> nothing that you hadn't already learned years ago?

Plantiff Attoney: "Objection your honor. Irrelevant to trademark law."
Judge: "Sustained."

> TB: Well, I got one the first month, but none since
> then.
>
> MA: And how many people have you taught TM to here in
> Broward County since becoming one of these "recertified"
> TM teachers?

Plantiff Attoney: "Objection your honor. Irrelevant to trademark law."
Judge: "Sustained."

> TB: Well, none, actually.
>
> MA: And how many people has the defendant taught in that
> same period?

Plantiff Attoney: "Objection your honor. Irrelevant to trademark law."
Judge: "Sustained."

> TB: Several dozen, I would imagine.
>
> ...and so on...

> The issue IMO
[in Turqie World]
is that the TM organization has so
> completely lost touch with reality that it thinks people on a jury
> or
> conservative judges behind a bench are going look favorably
> on this kind of behavior, behavior which in their minds
> marks them clearly as cultists, being taken advantage of
> by an organization that is ripping them off.

So in Turqie World -- these judges and juries who have sworn to uphold
the law, will disregard such and use the court proceedings to promote
their own agendas. Which is to stamp out cult teachings, obviously. So
they will rule in favor of an Indie teacher so that a lot more people
will have access to cult teachings than if they ruled for the plantiff
(TMO). Ok then.