> I don't "come back to" the mantra.  The instant I
> realize my attention hasn't been on it, I find that
> my attention is on it again.
>
> It's a cycle that repeats automatically, entirely
> spontaneously, throughout the meditation period, until
> the thought arises, again spontaneously, that I've
> been experiencing this cycle for 20 minutes.  Then
> the cycle stops, also spontaneously.
>
> Where is the effort?

Just having recently visited Ramesh Balsekar in Bombay, he writes
about his own state:
"Whenever there are a few moments (between two happenings), I find
myself doing one of three things: either I walk briskly for physical
exercise, or I lie down and rest, or I sink into a spontaneuos
meditation. I have no preference. When I begin the walk or lie down on
the bed, japa (Om Namah Shivaya) begins spontaneusly. It really does
not seem to matter, one way or the other, wether the interval is five
minutes or thirty minutes."