> On Mar 13, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Rick Archer wrote:
>
> > An MUM staffer says that Bevan and lawyers are putting quite a bit
> > into the
> > lawsuit against MUM brought by the parents of Levi Butler. The suit
> > draws a
> > bigger line to include other TM organizations besides MUM; the two
> > families
> > make claims against the techniques too. A lawyer who helps MUM with
> > legal
> > issues said he feels we can handle the allegations about techniques
> > but the
> > claim against MUM for the wrongful death will be more difficult.
>

> One of the dangers of canned meditation "techniques" is that they
> don't allow for all the subtle nuances of a potentially infinite
> variety of students. All these people would have to do is subpoena
> (or whatever you call it) the checking procedures and show how there
> are a limited set of responses, IIRC, none of which ever tell you to
> 'stop meditating' or cut back if "x" happens (i'm sure someone will
> correct me if I'm wrong here). And actually they had this kid over-
> meditating as it was. I'll be amazed if they get out of this one.
>
> Upside is, this would be a good time to modify and expand the
> checking procedures to include what they darn well know are the side-
> effects--and sometime dangerous side effects--of TM. But we all know
> it is extremely unlikely this will ever happen.

Changing checking notes wold not help - that would put checkers in the position
of
evaluating a person's mental status, and open them up to all sorts of liability
wouldn't it?
And checking notes and getting people to learn TM seem to be the very last
things on
MMY's mind for the last several decades.

No one person is to blame for this tragedy.  For example, I imagine that the
parents of
Sem wish, in retrospect, thatthey had never let him go far from home to go to
college
when he had a history (didn't he?) of mental illness.   Obviously, the MUM
folks did not
handle this serious situation properly - no training in this?  No understanindg
of mental
illness or psychosis by those making decisions? a desire to keep this a low
profile event,
so no authorities were called or real help sought for this young man with a
brain disorder?
LIke most tragedies, a series of events, each one of which should not have
happened, did
happen - one after the other - and lives were ruined.  I think most of us have
difficulty
anticipating the Worst.